Lion and autocorrect

Reaction score
This is probably my biggest worry over Lion. I would assume we'll be able to turn off autocorrect in Lion but if not that's a huge headache and a huge drawback. I'm not sure why they would incorporate that into an OS running a full keyboard anyway. Does anyone running a beta copy have any insight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What an odd thing to worry about.

OP
F
Reaction score
See here for the inclusion of autocorrect in Lion

And autocorrect is a huge headache. It doesn't want you to use profanity, doesn't like proper nouns, and makes really bizarre changes to words that actually are spelled correctly. Autocorrect is awful in iOS and I'm not looking forward to the hassle in Lion if it can't be turned off.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
See here for the inclusion of autocorrect in Lion

And autocorrect is a huge headache. It doesn't want you to use profanity, doesn't like proper nouns, and makes really bizarre changes to words that actually are spelled correctly. Autocorrect is awful in iOS and I'm not looking forward to the hassle in Lion if it can't be turned off.

I would agree if there is no provision, but since you can turn off autocorrect in IOS no reason to believe we won't have that option in Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
[

Really? For who? I use Auto correct all the time on my phone and really have no issues with it. Then again, maybe I just know how to spell. There is the option to turn it off in iOS, so I don't see what the issue is. Don't like it? Turn it off. Big deal. This seems like a really small and oddly strange thing to worry about in all of this. Maybe I just know how to spell well.

OP
F
Reaction score
I probably know how to spell about as well as you do, but thanks for the condescending (and immaterial) answer. You might notice above where I spelled out how autocorrect changes words that are correctly spelled but uncommon, proper nouns, and profanity.

Yes, you can turn it off in iOS, but if you do it turns off spellcheck altogether. The little red squiggly line is a useful fallback.

Reaction score
Disable autocorrect

Yup...I found this annoying.

-Go to System Preferences
-Then click on Language & Text
-Then click the tab that says "Text"
-Uncheck the box!

There ya go!

OP
F
Reaction score
That fix isn't working for me. I'm also finding that you can no longer hold down a key to repeat the character indefinitely. It now behaves like iOS, giving you a contextual menu for related characters on the same key. For example, holding down the A key will allow you options for such characters as â, æ, and å.

Reaction score
That's very strange. Anyone know how do disable autocorrect while leaving the key repetition on? This is terrible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
This is probably my biggest worry over Lion. I would assume we'll be able to turn off autocorrect in Lion but if not that's a huge headache and a huge drawback. I'm not sure why they would incorporate that into an OS running a full keyboard anyway. Does anyone running a beta copy have any insight?

Spelling pref pane. Drives me nuts, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That fix isn't working for me. I'm also finding that you can no longer hold down a key to repeat the character indefinitely. It now behaves like iOS, giving you a contextual menu for related characters on the same key. For example, holding down the A key will allow you options for such characters as â, æ, and å.

Open Terminal then copy and paste this :
Code:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false
Then hit enter. Also, you can set your repeat rate faster by copy/pasting this:
Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain KeyRepeat -int 0[/quote]  Zero could be too fast, just try it first. If so, then change the value to 1

Doug

Reaction score
Hoping this helps...

I have had the same problem as you with the autocorrect, just a general pain in the rear. Had turned it off in System Prefs, but then discovered that Safari has it's own preference still ticked in 'Edit', 'Spelling and Grammar', so you need to turn that one off too and then you're able to make all the typos you want with only a red line coming up! Mail seems to fall back the the system prefs so you should be right there.

As for the holding the key down, someone else has already popped up an answer so I won't bother.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.