Wet Macbook!! Does it have a chance to survive?

Reaction score
Just this afternoon, I was surfing the web on my laptop. And i mistakingly place my glass of water to the right of my laptop. Thats when it happened... My clumsiness got the best of me and I knocked the glass of water onto my laptop.. The water had spilled over my keyboard.

The hum noise my laptop makes while it's on began to silent itself and the screen went black.
My actions were as follows...

1. blot keyboard with a towel
2. clicked the power button a couple times
3. blot keyboard some more
4. unplugged the power cord and took the battery out
5. closed the laptop slightly and put it up like a tipi
6. let it sit upright on my desk where the sun was shining in from my window for 45 min

Right now my laptop is closed and sitting on my desk in the shade. I have NOT put the battery back in, nor have I plugged the power cord back in.
I'm going to wait a couple days before I attempt to boot it up.
The battery still has some juice in it. When i press the little white button. 2 out of the 5 little green lights come on.

So heres my question:
Is there anything else i can do? Any suggestions? Do you know what may have happened? Perhaps something fried or short-circuited? Have any of you guys experienced this unfortunate situation before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Don't put it in the shade but on a radiator or in the sun. Don't wait a couple days but atleast a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The first mistake you made was cleaning the keyboard(which presses buttons and continues the circuit flow), and clicked the power button, before disconnecting any power source to it. Without power running through it, you can physically dump your computer in water, without anything electrical going wrong with it...assuming you dry it afterwards.

When a water spill occurs, while your computer is on, the most important this to do is to turn the computer off as quickly as possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When a water spill occurs, while your computer is on, the most important this to do is to turn the computer off as quickly as possible.

+1 and remove the battery (if possible).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
It may have a chance to survive. My friends macbook pro was on in her kitchen and he 4 year old son spilled chocolate milk on it while it was on and she dried it out.

Reaction score
Happened to me once, knocked a bottled water over and it headed toward both the keyboard and speaker. Reflex action told me to grab it and turn it upside down as fast as I could. I'm convinced that's what saved it. Haven't had one ounce of trouble with my MBP since that happened either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.