Adobe Soundbooth not playing MPEGs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
Hello there,

I'm having trouble with MPEG-2 and multiplexed MPEG-1/2s.

I'm trying to edit them in Adobe Soundbooth, but there is no audio, waves, or video. There's a little video thumbnail, but that's about it. The files won't play in Quicktime either. Of course, VLC is able to open them, but it would really help if I had some way to edit them.

I'm very new to Soundbooth, so maybe there's a setting I'm missing.

Any ideas?

C

chas_m

Since Soundbooth is an audio editing program and MPEG 1 (and 2) are video formats, I guess my first question is "why are you trying to edit video files in an audio-editing program?"

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
Aren't MPEG files audio and video? Doesn't most professional sound editing software give you the option to edit audio attached to video?
I'm not trying to edit video. The audio was record with a camcorder, so there just happens to be video with it. MPEG sure isn't the best audio format to work with, but it's what I got. I'm only the editor here.
I don't have a lot of options for editing programs right now. My main computer is dead, so I'm working on my laptop with a 80GB harddrive. I'm just doing basic AUDIO editing (cutting things up, no EQ fixes or anything like that). I'm not a sound person, so usually, I would be using FCP for simple audio edits like this, but I don't have that option right now. I can't install Adobe Premier, because my laptop doesn't meet the system requirements. iMovie is my only video editing option right now, but I have a really hard time with that program.
I know you can edit video audio with audio software, and that is what I'm trying to do. I just imported a .mov, and guess what - the audio waves showed up. So Soundbooth obviously gives you the option to edit audio attached to video.
I'm not trying to edit silent footage; I'm trying to edit audio which just happens to be attached to video.

So in answer to your question - I'm NOT trying to edit video with an audio-editing program.

My question is: "Is there a way for Soundbooth to read the AUDIO of MPEG files?"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.