Disk utility won't recognize my HD

Reaction score
Hi all,
I installed a new Hitachi 500GB travelstar drive and restored it with all my data. Everything was working fine until I updated the EFI firmware to 1.7. After doing this, my MacBook pro won't even recognize the drive in disk utility. I even tried the old drive, and that didn't show up either. However, when I plugged the drive into a sata to USB connector, it would boot fine. Is there any way to fix this?
I have a unibody MacBook pro (5,5)
Thanks for any help, this whole process has been a nightmare!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'ay and welcome to the forums.

Lots of problems with this update and so called 'unsupported' drives.

MacBook Pro EFI 1.7 Firmware Update Causing New HDD Issues; Make An SD Card Startup Disk For New MacBook Pro; Mac mini Uses MacBook Components; MacBook Pro Upgrade Project; Triple Mac Laptop Wireless Networking Range; Alto Cordless Laptop Stand /Keyb

Take note of Apple's warning on unsupported drives. By chance do you have a Time machine or cloned backup on external drive in case you need to erase the hard drive?

Otherwise you may be able to follow the guide in the second post in this thread and remove the update:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2054387?threadID=2054387&tstart=0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.