• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek

Reaction score
Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek

vzn-logo-iphone.jpg
When Apple announced iCloud yesterday, there was the usual excitement over a new Apple service, but sadly said service wouldn't be rolling out until the fall. However, Apple also announced an iCloud sneak peak via iTunes 10.3 and iOS 4.3.3 which allows users to download past purchases and try out automatic downloads. Sadly though, Verizon iPhone users have been left out in the cold.

Verizon iPhones still run iOS 4.2.8, which isn't compatible with the iCloud preview. No one knows why iOS on a Verizon iPhone lags behind iOS on an AT&T iPhone, but it does. Do you have a Verizon iPhone? Not to worry. Though Apple hasn't made an official announcement, you can bet they are working to bring parity which should allow Verizon iPhone users to preview iCloud as well. The only question now is when they'll release the compatible iOS update for Verizon users.

Verizon iPhone not ready for iCloud sneak peek originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks for the post Bot! I was getting ready to start a thread with this question. I can confirm though that if you do make a purchase on a Verizon iPhone that the iPod touch and the iPad get the song from the cloud like they should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Another big issue with Verizon getting iCloud is the fact it can't do voice and data at the same time. Probably adds a lot of complexity to a constantly syncing cloud solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Another big issue with Verizon getting iCloud is the fact it can't do voice and data at the same time. Probably adds a lot of complexity to a constantly syncing cloud solution.

For me personally I don't see the data/voice issue to be too big of a deal. You would have to be doing quite a bit of talk and data tasks to really notice.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I wish I could take my VZW iPhone back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I Just find it interesting that all the "verizon is so much better, the world will be perfect if Verizon had the iPhone" talk that went on for years certainly has died down after Verizon actually got the iPhone.

I just can't help but wonder if reality has finally sunk in and people are realizing that really the grass isn't always greener?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
What issues are you running into, or things you wish were different?

Nothing. I'm just really adamant about getting my iOS updates along with ATT customers. :p

One of the comments in the article seem on the right track, Verizon may very well be blocking the updates too. But Apple wouldn't release an update that could be anyway worse than an Android one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Nothing. I'm just really adamant about getting my iOS updates along with ATT customers. :p

One of the comments in the article seem on the right track, Verizon may very well be blocking the updates too. But Apple wouldn't release an update that could be anyway worse than an Android one.

Agreed! I wanted 4.3 to get the home share option as I use that quite a bit with my other iOS devices. I hope that they don't leave the VZW users in the dark until iOS 5, but I have a feeling that they will. I'm looking at it as they have a lot on the fire right now, so why work on another 4.x flavor for Verizon users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Big Red is still the red headed step child.....

Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of griping about how the iPhone hardware is now fragmented because VZW iPhones run 4.2.8 and AT&T iPhones run 4.3.3.

It's not that fragmented as Android, is it? I don't think it is. And I'm sure the VZW iPhone will be able to get iOS 5 at the same time as the AT&T iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's user griping, not dev griping, that's the difference between the iOS difference and Android difference.

Androids fragmentation actually hurts developers and makes the platform more difficult. Apple's iOS version difference just involves a few features for users, it doesn't affect development.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.