second hand mac pro or new mac mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
Hi, I am fairly new to the forums but not to the mac. I currently have a macbook air late 2010 13 model as I travel alot. I then have a cinema display at home for when im at my desk. Recently I have been able to work from home much more and miss having a dedicated desktop machine. My question is would i be better of going for a used 2x duel core mac pro, or a new mac mini??

I use iworks (for work) ilife (managing photoes and vids), xcode and code runner (trying to learn!!!), logic express (as a hoby).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Considering how expensive a good used Mac Pro would be, and for what you intend to use it for, a new Mini should suit your needs just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with a Mac Pro. Easily upgraded memory, graphics, hard and optical drives to suit you working from home. Sorry to disagree Charlie but minis, even the morris type, have never impressed me!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
But, its a waste of money buying a Mac Pro, if all your gonna do is run Word on it.

As much as I wish I had one, I would go with what chscag says.

In my eyes, the market of the Mac Pro is generally:

- enthusiasts
- creative media proffessionals
- Intensive applications (Auto CAD, video encoding rendering, and so on)
- Server use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow Robbie!

Working from home running and managing, and no doubt editing, photos and videos, X Code, Code Runner and Logic Express ain't word.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Have to say - I've never seen the point of a Mac Mini..

What are they actually for ?
Unconvinced windows-folk who don't want to make the Big Leap - towards sanity ?

The drives aren't supposed to be very reilable from reviews I've read on Amazon...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow Robbie!

Working from home running and managing, and no doubt editing, photos and videos, X Code, Code Runner and Logic Express ain't word.

haha ;)

It's just that the price difference is so significant yet there is no real need for the OP to have a Mac Pro.

The most taxing thing on there is Logic Express, and even then, that's only a hobby - and unless you take your hobby very seriously, theres no real need for an amazing Xeon processor, with the brilliant upgradeability.

If the OP had said "I want to do gaming, Video Editing & Rendering, etc." I would say go Mac Pro.

But iLife, iWork, Xcode and Logic Express, aren't really the kind of programs you really need that kinda horsepower in a computer.

I do all that and more on my macbook, and it handles it just fine.

Plus you save a boatload of Desk space and cash.

Hate to disagree mate :p

pedropete: The drives are the same as the drives in the Macbooks, and Macbook Pros. theres nothing wrong with them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have to say - I've never seen the point of a Mac Mini..

What are they actually for ?
Unconvinced windows-folk who don't want to make the Big Leap - towards sanity ?

That's because you may not have been using Mac's long enough to know what the original Marketing concept was for the Mac-Mini.

Before the Mac-mini was first introduced back in January 2005...the least expensive Macintosh computer was the $999 G4 iBook. The idea was:

- a less expensive upgrade path for current Macintosh users
- an inexpensive way for Windows users to switch to Apple
- and one of the biggest ideas was...a way for folks to use their existing mouse, keyboard, and display...thus lowering the total cost of getting a new computer.

So for just $499...a person could upgrade to a new and more powerful computer (a Mac-Mini)...and use their existing mouse, keyboard, and display. Plus there's also the extremely small "footprint" of the Mac-mini...thus taking up very little desktop space.

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Robbie are you folk in the same boat in the UK?

Almost mate, but we can get the stock Mini for £612. not as bad, but not great either ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$499 Nick? Not down here typical rip off outside USA. And our dollar is still worth 9% more than the greenback!

My earlier post was a Mac-Mini "history lesson". $499 was the US price of the original 1.25ghz G4 Mac-Mini released back in 2005. Of course international prices I'm sure varied.

The main point of that earlier post was to explain the original concept(s) behind the Mac-mini.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Almost mate, but we can get the stock Mini for £612. not as bad, but not great either ;)

Amazon currently do it for 540 GBP plus 5.61 postage / shipping...

Even cheaper than Apple's Educational Store, which offers alleged discounts for those in education - at 572 GBP !:|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.