Case Sensitive File System

Reaction score
Hello, everybody I'm having some problems with my macbook pro, I have bought it two years ago and recently I tried to install Adobe CS5 to it however, an error messaged popped up saying that Adobe didn't support Case-Sensitive file systems.
I really need to have the CS5 installed on my computer and I'm not sure what to do. I'm willing to reformat my mac to non case sensitive however, I'm not sure how can I do it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What version of OSX do you have? CS5, if I remember without looking it up, is only supported on Snow Leapord (10.6)

OP
B
Reaction score
I've got the snow leopard. I don't think the problem is the OS it is the settings of the OS since a friend of mine had the same model and was able to install CS5 properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange if your MBP is formatted using "Case Sensitive" rather than the standard OS X Journaled non case sensitive. Was Snow Leopard pre-installed or did you install it over Leopard?

In order to format your MBP hard drive to use the correct file system, you will have to boot the machine from your SL DVD. Then, using Disk Utility, erase the drive, reformat correctly, install SL, and restore your data.

Make sure you have a good (recent) Time Machine backup before you proceed.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's strange if your MBP is formatted using "Case Sensitive" rather than the standard OS X Journaled non case sensitive. Was Snow Leopard pre-installed or did you install it over Leopard?

Then, using Disk Utility, erase the drive, reformat correctly, install SL, and restore your data.

I installed SL over the old version however, I didn't make it case sensitive it was already lthat way. I'm not sure how can will I do the quoted section can you explain it further?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to reformat in order to change the file system. Before you start, make a Time Machine backup otherwise you may lose all your data.

Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD. After the language selection, click on the top menu item "Utilities". Then select "Disk Utility".

Highlight your hard drive on the left side of the screen (the entry that shows the drive capacity).

Click on erase at the top of the screen.

Select the format: Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Name the drive "MacIntosh HD"

Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window.

The drive will be reformatted with the correct file system. Now you can continue with the operating system reinstall. During this process, you can restore all your data from the Time Machine backup you made.

Reboot and you should be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz)
if i reformat my drive to case insensitive.

Would I be able to copy files (including Applications) from a Time Backup. I am talking of doing this from Finder once I have booted into the new install rather than using the Time Backup feature to restore.

I assume that because a restore has the features working after the procedure, copying them manually over to the new system manually will have the same effect?

edit - on lion, migration assistant can be used

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.