Taking Screenshot on Mac

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am using Mac OS X v 10.6.4. I have downloaded "paintbrush" to save the screenshots.

I take a screenshot using Command-Control-Shift-3, then paste it on the canvas of 1280 x 1024 and then save it as jpeg.

When i open the saved image, only a blank canvas comes up.

Please help.

C

chas_m

Not familiar with paintbrush. Any particular reason you aren't using Preview?

OP
I
Reaction score
I am new to Mac...Switched from Windows..I could not find enough options such as in different colors for highlighting the borders of the selected area (got habit of using MS paint). So i was looking for something similar as paint in mac. Thats when i downloaded Paintbrush.

C

chas_m

Ah, well that's not what you originally asked.

I guess what I'm not clear on is why (and how) you are trying to "paste" a picture onto a canvas. Does Paintbrush not just open the file directly?

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry, if i have caused any confusion. Actually i am looking for a tool in which i can paste a picture and highlight any part of it if required. There should be lot of options for highlighting ( in terms of shape and color)

While using paintbrush, i am taking screenshot using Command+control+shift+3 and then doing Command+V on a canvas (1280 x 1024) of paintbrush. If i saved the image after highlighting the required portion and then if i reopen that image, i am getting a blank canvas.

Reaction score
I think you are better off using Cmd+Shift+3 or Cmd+Shift+4, this will directly create a png image on your desktop which you can edit more easily. I recommend Seashore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I can second Skitch, expecially if it does what you need it to.

C

chas_m

Preview CAN do what you are looking to do. I use it all the time to draw boxes around things, add text and arrows (mostly to show people how to do something on screen).

Skitch is more versatile, but Preview will get the job done. Check out it's "annotation" tools and you will see what I mean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.