iCloud and multiple accounts

Reaction score
Jus a question that is bugging me - I've had my iTunes account for years, long before I got a Mac and thus it uses a gmail email address but when I moved to a Mac I got.Mac and use my Mac email account for everything else like email, iCal etc.

This will become my iCloud login, will my gmail purchased files be available for use?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would imagine so, but I guess we'll see in good time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
You can always change your Apple ID email to the @me/mac one you have. My email for my apple ID used to be different than it is now. Like cwa107 said though, only time will tell.

To change your Apple ID email (iTunes account) to another email follow the instructions in this link HERE. Hope this answers your question!

C

chas_m

I have no idea what a "gmail purchased file" is so can't answer the question. Can you clarify what you're talking about there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And no where does it say you have to change your AppleID to a new address. For all we know you can keep your existing Apple ID for accessing iCloud...I'm pretty sure that is how it will work if they don't create a merge functionality.

C

chas_m

Ah, okay, I re-read your original post and you're using "gmail purchased files" as shorthand for "iTunes songs (et al) I purchased using an iTunes account based on my gmail address."

If I've understood you correctly, I expect that Apple will also back up iTunes accounts regardless of the email address used. It's still an Apple ID, even if the "name" of it is [email protected] (or whatever).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I expect everyone that has signed up for and are using multiple Apple IDs are going to have the same issue with iCloud they have now.

Apple does not merge multiple accounts now, and I suspect that will not change with the move to iCloud.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.