Just got a used PPC Mac

Reaction score
Ive been a life long Windows user. However someone just gave me a G4 tower. It has OS10.4 on it. Will this be enough to get me through the next two years of college?

D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It may not be able to run some of the latest software, and its graphics card will struggle a little but with video, but otherwise they are a good workhorse for daily tasks

If you need any further assistance, then this forum is the best there is

I would first check to see if that is as up to date as possible, 10.4.11 is the latest update for that OS

OP
I
Reaction score
It may not be able to run some of the latest software, and its graphics card will struggle a little but with video, but otherwise they are a good workhorse for daily tasks

If you need any further assistance, then this forum is the best there is

I would first check to see if that is as up to date as possible, 10.4.11 is the latest update for that OS

Sounds like it will work. As long as I can run a word processor, and a decent spread sheet I should be good. Ill check the OS updates when I get home tonight. Thanks louishen.

D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive been a life long Windows user. However someone just gave me a G4 tower. It has OS10.4 on it. Will this be enough to get me through the next two years of college?

D

In case you didn't know...the Mac G4 Towers are 7-11 years old. If you know anything about computers...that's pretty darn old. It can be ok for some things...but for someone in college...it may come up short. Basically it depends on what you need to do with it. Finding software for it may be tough as well.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I looked and I think it only has 10.4 I couldn't find anything else about it. How could I upgrade it to 10.4.11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Go to the upper left "Blue Apple" menu, then select Software Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just be aware that after some of the updates, the next startup could take a while and you could get the startup chime twice. A bit worrying if you are not expecting it.

Regarding the age, a friend has a 7 year old iMac with 10.4.11 and it works fine.

C

chas_m

If you can locate a copy of Microsoft Office 2004, that should go very well with that machine and will be more than good enough for your uses in college.

However, as others have noted above that's an OLD machine in computer terms and for doing any modern multi-media web activities or recent software you will likely run into a LOT of roadblocks. As long as you are aware of this and keep things basic, you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For comparison, similar to running a Windows 98 machine with its limitations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.