• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to sell Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for $29.99 only in Mac App Store

Reaction score
Apple to sell Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for $29.99 only in Mac App Store

Apple announced on Monday that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will be available only in the Mac App Store, and the operating system upgrade will be available for just $29.99.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There has to be some way to create a disc. This might be the first OS X major release that I hold off on until I read some reviews. I hate to stay stuck in the past, but I also want to have a backup of my OS. I also want to do a clean install - no matter how many people tell me that an in-place upgrade "should be fine".

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
same. I want to be able to boot off it. im not a fan of the MAS anyway. this has annyed me even more.

maybe to add to the already gimmicky store the will have a demo version named "Lion Lite". :Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm betting they will provide some way to burn it to disk and likely will also have it available on DVD for a fee. Also, you have to think that Mac purchases made after the release date will include an install recovery DVD set along with the machine in the box. Lion is not going to be just a digital download in my opinion. Of course I have been wrong before.... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
I expect to see a USB bootable device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Now where is that thread where i called it $29 and schweb called Big $$$ lol
Watch the switchers now

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I also want to do a clean install - no matter how many people tell me that an in-place upgrade "should be fine".
So it's not just me that likes to do clean installs then?

I wonder if the MAS has a cache (it'll have to store the install files somewhere) and one could make something with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Wow! $29.99!!! Apple may be pricey on their hardware but the upgrade price on their OS is fantastic. Is the release date in July...?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it's not just me that likes to do clean installs then?

I wonder if the MAS has a cache (it'll have to store the install files somewhere) and one could make something with that.

Simply put, if I can't clean install it, I won't buy it. I also won't hack it so that I have backup media. I just won't put myself into a situation where I can't boot off install media if needed. I've been around computers far too long to know that when Murphy's Law goes into action, you need bootable media.

My guess is this is Apple's way to do the following:

1. Deter people from upgrading from 10.4/10.5 for a low price.
2. Making it harder/less cost-effective to build a Hackintosh (although this will make piracy sky-rocket).
3. Force people who otherwise wouldn't use MAS to at least register for an AppleID (and therefore a credit card on-file).

Now, don't get me wrong - I love the MAS, I love digital distribution for the OS (can't see why it hasn't been done this way previously) and I'm pleased by the low price. But if they don't have some way to boot off of media to install or troubleshoot, I don't want it! Seriously - this would push me back to Windows.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I just won't put myself into a situation where I can't boot off install media if needed. I've been around computers far too long to know that when Murphy's Law goes into action, you need bootable media.

It could be argued I guess that Apple is just THAT confident with their products.

Unfortunately, as you say, Murphy's Law will just most likely prove them wrong

And I'd like to be able to not go with the upgrade route this time around (even if I have to pay more for the "full version").

I purchased my Macbook Pro mid 2009 and when Snow Leopard came out, I went with the upgrade to Snow Leopard. I don't know why but it just wouldn't feel right to upgrade again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Of course you're all assuming there is no way to create bootable media, backup, or clean install. Let's just wait for the details to actually come out from Apple to see what the they are before we jump to conclusions.

This thread reminds of all the other times Apple's done something, people freaked out, and then it all turned out to be nothing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My motto: Don't worry until there is something to worry about. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Your old (Snow Leopard) bootable media will work just fine.

We've been getting point-version updates over the Internet for over a decade now. Somehow we've survived that. This is not so different, really.

(I expect there will be a DVD version, but it will probably be much more expensive than $29 and probably not available immediately. Volume licensees will demand one. No way are they pushing a multi-gigabyte download to a lab full of Macs.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Okay, so I missed out on this one. Do I understand that Lion will only be available via the Apple app store? No disk? Did they give a release date?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here you are - all the info you should need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Your old (Snow Leopard) bootable media will work just fine.

Do YOU want to boot and install snow leopard to then have to update it to .6 to get the app store installed, then to have to download another 4 gigs to get to lion? I'm sorry, but that is a major waste. Not all of us that are Mac users have uber-high speed internet. I'm lucky I have 3meg, but I can't absorb that bandwidth whenever I want unless I want my wife to kill me - and then there are those people who have significantly slower connections then mine - even some with still dialup, or satellite that will throttle over download quantities required to do this sort of an update.

No, they need to be able to make a disc to do a clean install/restore, it's the only way that really makes sense - especially for those of us who want completely clean systems (of which I was planning to do for the next OS upgrade so I'm not running a system that's been through multiple upgrades)

We've been getting point-version updates over the Internet for over a decade now. Somehow we've survived that. This is not so different, really.

This is a lot different honestly with the amount of bandwidth necessary to get from a 10.6 -> Mac App store (10.6.6) -> Lion

(I expect there will be a DVD version, but it will probably be much more expensive than $29 and probably not available immediately. Volume licensees will demand one. No way are they pushing a multi-gigabyte download to a lab full of Macs.)

Not necessarily - I'd think a business with volume licenses would have server which has the ability to provide software updates now, I am sure they will incorporate a way to download lion to the server to push down to the clients in a lab.

For me tho, I, like many others, want a DVD or at least the ability to make a bootable thumbdrive to be able to do a clean install incase I ever need it. Plus, I'd be willing to pay more to get it because it is worth it to me to have that peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's always a whole lot of fretting going on whenever Apple re-writes the rules, and inevitably it turns out it was all for nothing. My bet is that Apple will have available some type of bootable image with an installer that you can download from their site, access the MAS with it, and then download Lion, which itself is probably a bootable image that you could store elsewhere the first time around. Seriously… if we are thinking about the downsides, so is Apple, and they've got a plan to handle it. They just may not be quite ready to announce it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There's always a whole lot of fretting going on whenever Apple re-writes the rules, and inevitably it turns out it was all for nothing.

I remember when they started shipping media only on optical disc. People thought the world was coming to an end because their precious floppy drive was obsolete. People panicked when the first iMac came out without a floppy. It was horrible, how could they dump the floppy!. Yet, in the end, everything worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.