Wifi setup on iMac

Reaction score
Hello Macfans,

I have a 2007 iMac with Airport Extreme running OSX 10.5.8. I just want to set up a WIFI network in my house to use with a wifi-enabled tablet/laptop/e-reader. I have a Motorola DSL modem hooked to the Ethernet with ATT as my ISP. I'm not sure whether I need a Airport base station, a wireless router or not and can't get a straight answer from any Apple resources.

I've messed around with the Network configuration in System preferences and am still no more closer to a solution. I want to have a secure connection as I am in a neighborhood with homes being close together.

Believe me I've tried to make sense out of this whole situation, including browsing this forum, and I've become even more confused by the various protocols involved in Wifi. WEP vs. WPA?

If somebody could walk me through this process, I would be greatly indebted to them.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hi. Start by reading this Mac-Forums Blog » Networking » Wireless Networking FAQ and post back if you have further questions.

At the highest level - you have everything you need. Simply use the Airport Extreme as your wireless router - enable WPA2 (preferably) or WPA for security. Don't use WEP.

Post back with specific questions and we'll try to help. Hard to walk you through a process if we don't know what you've done so far. The information in the blog link should get you most, if not all the way there. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I've already went through the Network in System Preferences and clicked on create new network using Airport and enabled a WPA2 Personal password for the network in the Advanced box. My Nook appears to be connected now so I guess I was making a mountain out of a molehill. Thanks anyway Brian.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I spoke too soon. I was apparently on another person's network, not my own.

In the Network section of System Preferences I clicked the plus symbol to create a new location, then used Airport as the interface and Airport as the service name in the popup box.

Then I press the turn Airport On button and I get a whole bunch of networks in the pulldown menu that I don't recognize. Since I obviously don't know the passwords for any of these networks, I can't join them. I try the Advanced button and get a new window, then click the plus button to create a new network and just put in "MyWifi" as the name and then I choose WPA2 Personal as the password encryption, then I enter a password. Even after I do this, the network I just created doesn't show up in the pulldown menu in the main Network window while Airport is on. I can't completely get the thing to work but I am close.

I just want to create my own network through Airport using my DSL modem from my ATT internet connection.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm wondering whether or not your initial terminology may be muddying the problem. You say you have an Airport Extreme in your first post - but this subsequent posts makes it sound like you're actually trying to use your iMac as the wireless gateway for the rest of your devices. If that's an accurate interpretation of what you're trying to do - take a look at this Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Sharing your Internet connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
If your Motorola DSL modem has a built in wireless routers, you will need to enable it and set up a home network with the appropriate network name and password. If you Motorola modem does not have a built in wireless router, then you will need to get yourself an Airport Extreme Base Station. Personally, even if your Motorola modem does have a wireless router, I would opt for the Airport Extreme Base Station as it can support a network where multiple users can access a printer and stand along hard drive wirelessly. More importantly, the last released Airport Extreme is an N final wireless with simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz antennas which allocates the spectrum depending on each of your wireless devices and does not slow down your entire network to the speed of your least capable wireless device. And it is a breeze to set up.

OP
M
Reaction score
As far as I can tell my Motorola DSL modem doesn't have a wireless router.

Brian, I tried the Internet Sharing configuration, enabled Airport, and my Kindle (not Nook) detected the Network I created so at least I'm getting somewhere, thank you. Unfortunately it only offers WEP encryption and not WPA. I initiate the connection with the Kindle and enter the WEP password correctly and still it doesn't work (both 64 and 128-bit).

I think ATT actually has to enable my Wifi service, so maybe that's why it isn't working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Enabling and setting up your home wifi network is something that you do, the internet provider does not normally do this for the customer, though they should include instructions on how you set it up. But enabling your wireless network is something you have to do. The built in router in your modem either has wifi capability, or it does not. If it doesn't, them you will need to purchase a separate wireless router such as the Airport Extreme Base Station.

The instructions that came with your modem should be able to tell you if your modem has a built in wireless router, and if it does, it should tell you how to enable it it and set up your personal/home wireless network, (normally involves going to the online page of the router and making the necessary changes).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.