Lost photos on iMac. How to recover from iPad?

Reaction score
Hi there

Can anyone help? I was running low on disk space and in my efforts to free up space accidentally sent my iPhoto library to the recycle bin. Only when I was emptying the bin to free up the space on the hard drive overall did I notice that it was taking a time to empty. I had accidentally put 12,000 photos in there and was deleting them.

I stopped the empty but all seem to have gone as iPhoto only has the thumbs but all are empty...

I have the photos on my iPad. Is there any way of getting these photos FROM my iPad TO iPhoto or my iMac in general? I am only seeing 248 when I sync, only the ones generated on the iPad and not anything from the iMac or my other devices (iPhone, other iPad etc)...

Is there any way the original photos would be still on my iMac somewhere?

Trash in iPhoto still shows 12,841 images but they are all empty thumbs by the looks.

My iPad still has them all so I think the best bet is to get them form there to my iMac...

Thanks guys. All help really appreciated. I thought I had a back up on my MacBookPro but nope!

Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi there

Can anyone help? I was running low on disk space and in my efforts to free up space accidentally sent my iPhoto library to the recycle bin. Only when I was emptying the bin to free up the space on the hard drive overall did I notice that it was taking a time to empty. I had accidentally put 12,000 photos in there and was deleting them.

I stopped the empty but all seem to have gone as iPhoto only has the thumbs but all are empty...

I have the photos on my iPad. Is there any way of getting these photos FROM my iPad TO iPhoto or my iMac in general? I am only seeing 248 when I sync, only the ones generated on the iPad and not anything from the iMac or my other devices (iPhone, other iPad etc)...

Is there any way the original photos would be still on my iMac somewhere?

Trash in iPhoto still shows 12,841 images but they are all empty thumbs by the looks.

My iPad still has them all so I think the best bet is to get them form there to my iMac...

Thanks guys. All help really appreciated. I thought I had a back up on my MacBookPro but nope!

Paul

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First things first is you need to stop writing to the HD on your Mac ASAP. Then do a scan with a data recover program like Data Rescue (I believe $99 to purchase and free to try). Unless they have been overwritten your photos are probably still fully recoverable.
I doubt the iPad option is really viable because (I believe) the resoloution will be far less than your original.

Again, don't write to your HD (file saves, program installs . . . nothing) untill you try the data recovery option.

EDIT: Link to a data recovery package
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RSFNVE/?tag=macforums0e4-20

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I replied to your other post.

BTW, you will probably hear from the Mods. We understand your anxiety over loss of your photos, but multiple posts are not allowed on the forum.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please only one post about a topic. Also moving this to the proper forum. Thanks for understanding!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If all 12,000 of those pics are on your iPad you could try either Phoneview or PodtoMac.

Note that pics are automatically resized during transfer from your Mac to the iPad for the iPad's resolution. So, if you had large resolution files, they'll not be recovered in the same size they were.

Other option is going to be to use a data recovery app as suggested above.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I missed that they may still be in the trash bin. Try a right click on a few of them and select restore. See if that puts them back where they came from or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.