password protect a link

C

ChrisAngus

Just in the process of building a website using dreamweaver.
is it possible to password protect a link?

OP
D

danielbruzual

I don't know much about webdesign, but I think that the javacript prompt function should allow you to protect it with a password.

OP
D

d-funct

I'm pretty sure you could use .htaccess files to protect a folder what the contents of the link point to ... have a google for it :)

OP
W

wolf88

couldnt you just look at the page source to see where the link leads? or do you not mean a hyperlink?

OP
D

danielbruzual

wolf88 said:
couldnt you just look at the page source to see where the link leads? or do you not mean a hyperlink?
Yeah, but most people don't know that!

useful info
that should work, unless you want to go more professional (I guess you would have to use php or a similar)

Reaction score
the bad thing about java passwords are that you turn your java off and you are in, the best way to do it (IMO) is just make a little button in Flash, then password protect it

OP
C

ChrisAngus

danielbruzual said:
Yeah, but most people don't know that!

useful info
that should work, unless you want to go more professional (I guess you would have to use php or a similar)

Thanks for that daniel, just what i wanted.

OP
R

ryanyogan

Javascript is as secure as a chain link fence, it holds off 80 year olds I guess. Javascript prompts can be bypassed by holding the space bar, looking at source, turning it off, etc.... Flash is ok, but you don't need to go that far. In your folder you want to protect, do a lil google on .htaccess , that file stuck in that dir will trigger the server to have you login before you can view it. Not the prettiest login, its a prompt that will come up and ask for username / password. The username and password can stored in the htaccess file, however I would recomend if you have php runnin on your server, pop a lil php script in there. If you need help I can show you how to do something simple in about 10 lines using the SESSION() and REQUIRE_ONCE() functions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.