Macbook Air & HTC Desire Hotspot

Reaction score
My first post.........and its a call for help!!

Just got a new MBA and everything was going well, until I tried to use the wifi hotspot on my HTC Desire and it will not connect no matter what I do with the security settings.

Is it true that you cannot connect this way with Mac OS? Never had a problem with my old netbook on XP.

I'm a bit confused as I've seen some references to Mac OS not allowing this, but then some people have managed to connect with the Nexus S???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You must create a wifi network on the HTC first - link.

If you are choosing WEP encryption, your Mac will probably not work with it.

OP
G
Reaction score
You must create a wifi network on the HTC first - link.

If you are choosing WEP encryption, your Mac will probably not work with it.
Yep - I've no problem setting up the wifi network on the HTC. I've used it for quite some time with my netbook, so quite OK on how to use it.

I've tried WEP, WPA and WPA2 (and no) security, all with no joy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And what? You're not giving anyone much to go on. Does it see the network, doesn't connect to the network, get an error and what is it?

OP
G
Reaction score
All sorted. For future reference of anybody with a similar problem. I found that you had to manually select the channel rather than leave it on Auto on the HTC Desire.

Now its a very nice mobile setup twinned with the MBA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.