Any simple, free web page developer software?

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
As a user who splits time between PCs and my MacBook Pro, I have an issue (thanks to Microsoft) that I need to correct. Brief history follows...

Years ago I built a web page that I use as my home page with all of my common links (my bank, forums, local news, etc...). I built that page with Microsoft Word, placing hyperlinked logos from the sites in question. It was fine for years, but with one issue...I normally open many pages at a time into tabs so I can then read them at my leisure. Most browsers let you do that by either via a "wheel-click" or a "right-click" "open in new tab". Problem is that Word-built web pages didn't allow the latter option (wrong context menu would appear, lacking the "open in new tab" option), But, so long as the wheel click option remained I was typically OK (track pads were an issue).

So finally I took the time to try and fix this by using the "right" software. I had MS Publisher on my Office disk so I tried that. Everything is now totally messed up, and the problems vary from one browser to another (i.e. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE 10). Web research has taught me that Publisher turns out non-standard web pages. Grrr...

So, I'm looking a for some code (preferably free because my needs are simple and rare) that will allow me to restore normal web-page link behavior. I've have virtually no skill or knowledge in HTML coding so looking for a drag-drop or graphical interface.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Have you tried iWeb?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I'm new at the mac...didn't even know it existed. Should have guessed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You aren't the first :D :D

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so I've tried playing with iWeb. First problem. I insert an image (I use images for my hyperlink as I'm a graphical thinker) and iWeb places a big ugly white border around the image. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it.

In the meantime I tried adding the hyperlinks to the images...no clue how to do that either.

Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved the thread to the correct forum and edited the title for clarity.

C

chas_m

Just for future reference ... MS Publisher is *never* the right software for *anything.*

Reaction score
If you are looking for a WYSIWYG editor, I have settled on Kompozer which is cross platform.

I develop websites, but not really in that type of environment, but it is great for building in a pinch especially if you don't want to go with a CMS or Template and be more freeform.

Reaction score
As editors Textwrangler is a nice free editor with html, php, javascript, ... syntax highlighting. As a paid version I'd recommend CODA which I use myself and love it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm using "Hype." Off the App store. I like it so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you don't like the border around a photo in iWeb, you can select it and click the Inspector, where a palette will come up. There's an icon there for images where you can change the kind of border that appears around your photo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.