Macbook Pro 2006 model problems

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 17 inch 2.16 GHz, 2gb RAM 320 GB hard disk macbook pro.

for the last 2 months, booting time is anywhere upto 5 minutes.

reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated many a times but did not make any different.

used Tech Tool Pro, Onyx etc., which found and rectified file permissions at its worst. Nothing else wrong was found. Memory check, display check, hard disk check all passed without any problems.

If I create a windows partition through boot camp, windows purrs and runs without any problem and booting time is less than 30 seconds.

But on the Mac OS Snow Leopard front, it is not the same. It takes upto 4 minutes. Tried every possible re-set. SMC. PRAM, VRAM and whatever that I could locate in forums and suggested by veterans.

Problem originally started with mouse freezing. (internal mouse). Mouse will be unfrozen after about 3 to 4 minutes. But after reinstallation a number of times, suddenly mouse became OK but booting time has gone upto 4 to 5 minutes sometimes more. The shut down time also has increased noticeably. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes to shut down.

Also ran virus check. All normal. Firewall enabled. Activity monitor does not show any thing consuming alarming proportions of memory. Infact as I write this, nothing is more than 24 mb of memory consumption and that too finder.

any help will be appreciated. thanks

View attachment Processes.txt

Attachments

• console 662011.doc
    93 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
In my experience, if the machine is giving you this many issues, and given that a fresh install of Windows is working fine (Thus no obvious hardware issues), your best bet is to back up everything and do a clean reinstall (Format the drive and install).

OP
L
Reaction score
i have done 3 reinstall after formating. But no improvement. But through boot camp if i install windows, it works fantastic without any problem. Also if I boot through mac after a fresh install, and the machine is idle for 10 minutes say, the screen goes blank and does not wake up with any key/esc key etc., any suggestions.?

OP
L
Reaction score
can i request someone to respond to my post above. i am desperate. Activity monitor does not show anything alarming. Safari is the only one which takes 148 mb all other is less than 10 mb and below. If i do not use laptop, the black screen comes after sometime from which i am unable to wake it up other than hard reboot. But no problem on the windows using bootcamp. Even the sleep functions beautifully. please help on mac side. thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What external devices do you have plugged in? Unplug them. Everything except power - incl'g unplug ethernet if it's plugged in.

Remove both Background Tool and Tech Tool Pro from your user startup if they're there.
What else is listed in Startup?

Then go to System Preferences - Startup and select your OS X partition as the default and restart.

And you're not by any chance using Norton or iAntivirus are you?

Use the spacebar to wake it from sleep.

OP
L
Reaction score
No external devices whatsoever.
No tools in start up. Nothing is listed in start up
OS X partition is selected as the default.
No norton and no antivirus. Either way it makes no difference whether antivirus is there or not. I have verified this during fresh installation many times. Today morning it took 3.5 minutes to boot.
Same machine on the boot camp windows partition is a dream machine and functions very well including start up. I must have erased partitioned and re-installed a dozen times by now.
i will try the space bar next time.

when you are in boot camp windows mode and working on windows how to save the screen shot ? In mac os we hit cmd + shift + 3. While working in windows the same keys do not work even though apple keyboard support has been installed.

thanks for responding.

yasas

OP
L
Reaction score
tried space bar. it did not help at all. continues to sleep. I had to do a force switch off and restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.