SyncMaster 226BW Not Displaying Native Resolution

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have hooked up my Macbook (aluminum version) to a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Female Adapter.

However, the best resolution I can achieve is 1280 x 1024. If I go higher than that, the monitor just goes black. If I set it to the native resolution (1680 x 1050), the monitor statics for a second, then goes black.

Any idea of what is happening?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not 100% sure about this but when the screen goes black like that it is usually an indication that a setting is not correct.

I would check the refresh rates first. The manual I found online contains the following message "Check if the scanning ratio of the video screen is set to between 56 Hz ~ 75 Hz. (Do not exceed 75 Hz when using the maximum resolution.)"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try running the Samsung in Clamshell mode. Also, you should be using a mini display port adapter to DVI not VGA. An analog signal is always of lower quality than a digital one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you would. You would be looking for a DVI-D cable with the adapter.

Or just get a combo cable - link.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither VGA nor DVI is going to support that resolution as long as the Samsung is attached and running in either "mirror" or "extended" desktop mode. It will default to the resolution of your MacBook. In order to display the Samsung at its native resolution (1680 x 1050) you will need to use clamshell mode. Did you read through my first reply and read the Apple KB article I referred you to?

OP
W
Reaction score
I just tried running in clamshell mode, but the resolution is still the same, and won't go any higher.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you're looking at all the selections for resolution in the display drop down box? You may have to scroll down or up to see all the available resolutions. I have the same Samsung Syncmaster and all I have to do is close my MacBook and run in clamshell mode and I get the full resolution of 1680 x 1050. I'm using a DVi connection.

Also try removing the Samsung, re-attach it and select "detect displays".

OP
W
Reaction score
I do see the higher resolutions, including 1680 x 1050. But when I select those, the screen statics for a while, and then goes completely black. It appears that the resolution is not supported.

However, I am using a mini displayport to VGA. Could that be the problem? A limitation of VGA?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, I am using a mini displayport to VGA. Could that be the problem? A limitation of VGA?

To be honest, I have never tried running my Samsung via VGA. And I don't have the correct adapter on hand to test it out. As I stated, I'm using DVI and have no problem whatsoever. But again, that's operating clamshell style. If I switch to mirror or extended desktop mode, it automatically defaults to the MacBook native resolution.

If you feel up to it, buy a mini display port DVI adapter plus DVI cable and give it a try. Keep the receipts. If it doesn't work out, return them for a refund.

I just remembered... The Samsung came with two cables in the box, one for VGA the other for DVI. You may have to only buy a DVI adapter.

OP
W
Reaction score
I just tried my friends mini displayport to DVI, and it worked! AND it worked without me putting the macbook into clamshell mode.
It looks like VGA just can't handle higher resolutions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Thanks for posting back and letting us know. DVI is the way to go as VGA is analog only. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.