ipod nano - copying MP3 files

G

gdestiny

so i just got the white ipod nano and i'm trying to move some of my MP3s on my HDD to it. and for some reason, i cannot drag the MP3 files directly to the ipod nano w/ iTunes 5.0. i have to move the MP3 files to the library first and THEN do an update to copy the files over.

i didn't have to do this w/ my iPod mini: i just drag the MP3 files directly to the iPod mini.

BTW, this is w/ XP Pro SP2.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Do you have "Enable Disk Use" checked?

OP
G

gdestiny

iWhat said:
Do you have "Enable Disk Use" checked?
yeah, that was the first thing i checked. i can see the it fine in Windows Explorer and can browse the files.

but in iTunes, when i go to the ipod, all the songs i have are greyed out, so i cannot even play them. i need to go up to library in order to play the songs.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the prefs, then iPod, select "Manually manage songs and playlists". From there, you should be able to play songs from your iPod and organize them, however you like with iTunes.

OP
G

gdestiny

iWhat said:
In the prefs, then iPod, select "Manually manage songs and playlists". From there, you should be able to play songs from your iPod and organize them, however you like with iTunes.
ahh yes, that fixed it! thanks, it was driving me crazy since i got the nano yesterday night.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gdestiny said:
ahh yes, that fixed it! thanks, it was driving me crazy since i got the nano yesterday night.

Oh, good. Enjoy your nano, I know I love mine! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.