iPod video 30gb trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a 30gb video that I use strictly in the car. It has been working fine for a good amount of time now, but has stopped working suddenly. Last week, while driving, this screeching noise came out of the speakers while playing a song. I thought it was a bad usb/ipod connection, but it wasn't it. Now, the ipod does not play any sound, even though it shows the song playing through on the screen. No matter if I plug it in via the usb or the headphone jack, no sound comes out of it. Anyone know what this problem could be? I've been searching for a related problem online almost all day, and can't seem to find anything, even though I don't really know the keyword(s) to search for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Could be a problem with the headphone jack; it's a common problem with the 5G iPods. You can get a replacement headphone jack for a few bucks from ifixit.com. I fixed mine a few years ago when it had that problem; it was surprisingly easy. Just make sure you're grounded when you fix it, as a single spark will fry the motherboard.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Could be a problem with the headphone jack; it's a common problem with the 5G iPods. You can get a replacement headphone jack for a few bucks from ifixit.com. I fixed mine a few years ago when it had that problem; it was surprisingly easy. Just make sure you're grounded when you fix it, as a single spark will fry the motherboard.

It's not the jack because the Harman Kardon system plugs in through the ipod usb connector, the the headphone jack. Even through it, it doesn't play audio, even though it shows the song playing along. The same problem is noticed when using the headphone jack.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No Sound Ipod - MacNN Forums
I've been finding out more and more info on this, but Apple won't tell anyone how to fix it, and have stopped repairing for this MANUFACTURER DEFECT! I'm honestly so ticked off right now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
To be fair, it is an old iPod...the 30-gig is from 2005...

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
To be fair, it is an old iPod...the 30-gig is from 2005...

So? The same problem has persisted from that model since new, and even on new classic models. Apple knows of the problem, and has completely stopped helping customers. They don't even tell people what the problem is. I think you haven't been reading the problems that people are having.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.