Boots into Darwin after Login!!

Reaction score
Hey all hope some one can help me, I just installed 10.2.1 b/c we had an error and had to reinstall it, after we did, it said it worked and everything, then it went to the login screen like normal, and we typed in the password and it jus shook! I know i am typing in the correct password b/c its been the same forever and has not changed so i went back into the installer and did password reset, rebooted the computer and it went back to the login screen, after a successful login it goes straight to darwin and asks me to login, now i am not to familar w/ darwin but i do know a little about it, i logged in correctly and everything but that was not what i needed. I am trying to just boot to a normal operating system. If any one can help that would be awesome thanks!
~Justin Reynolds

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The last time I had a problem similar to yours I was running 10.1.5. I ended up reloading the sytstem. My guess is that you are missing a file or two, that start up the graphical interface.

OP
J
Reaction score
rman said:
The last time I had a problem similar to yours I was running 10.1.5. I ended up reloading the sytstem. My guess is that you are missing a file or two, that start up the graphical interface.
I tried to reinstall it, and again it still goes to this! lol please help! thanks though

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are going to stay with OS X 10.2 (jaugar), why not try bring it to the late rev level of 10.2.8. Use the Mac OS X Update Combo 10.2.8 to update it. Hopefully this wil resolve your problem. The other thing I can think of is you may have a bad copy of 10.2.1. Try another copy of Mac OS X Update 10.2.1.

After all is done, don't forget to repair permissions.

OP
J
Reaction score
rman said:
If you are going to stay with OS X 10.2 (jaugar), why not try bring it to the late rev level of 10.2.8. Use the Mac OS X Update Combo 10.2.8 to update it. Hopefully this wil resolve your problem. The other thing I can think of is you may have a bad copy of 10.2.1. Thy another copy of Mac OS X Update 10.2.1.

After all is done, don't forget to repair permissions.
how am i suppose to update it w/o being able to log in!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I am suggesting here is to reload the OS, since you had an initial error in the current load. So either an archive and install or an over write install. Then get a new copy of 10.2.1 or get the combo update 10.2.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
When logged into single user mode (darwin) type exit at the prompt. That should load multiuser mode.

You may want to enable the root user to log into the machine as root, then reset the pasword account for your user.

Enable root while booted to the Jaguar cd.

N

neutrino

I'm having a very similar problem, with a few extra complications - hopefully someone can help.

I have a brand new (got it yesterday) pb running tiger, it started up fine a few times. I passworded the hard drive and changed the permissions on it so that the owner is my username and no one else has access to it. Shortly after doing that (related?) the screensaver turned on and would not turn off. So I rebooted and it now boots almost directly to the commandline and has me log in.

I see the grey apple screen and the "starting" screen with the blue bar, then right to the command line. So I enter my username and password then:

When I type "exit," it flashes a blue booting screen for about a second, then right back to the command line, asking for my un & pw again.

When I type "reboot" it says "command not allowed"

And I tried to run a fsck, but it does nothing. I type "/sbin/fsck -y" and hit enter and get another command prompt - no feedback of any kind.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
It almost sounds like your profile is hosed. Does your mac have auto login enabled? It's like it tries to log you in automatically then freaks out because something in your profile is damaged. If you can, try to back up your prefs at the bash prompt then delete them from /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences. Then give it a rip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.