iTunes 11 issue

Reaction score
I have just tried to open iTunes on my MacBook Pro and got the following message:

"The file 'iTunes library' cannot be read as it was created by a newer version of iTunes"

Not sure what's happened here - is anyone able to help me?

Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you haven't done so already, ensure that you're using iTunes 10.2.2 (most current version as of this post). If you've recently moved an iTunes library from another computer with a newer version, this could be the cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you really have iTunes 11, then you don't need to be complaining about it here. Either it's a developer release and you're a developer (unlikely) or it's a pirated version in which case you are violating forum rules.

Maybe it's a typo in the thread topic though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not using iTunes 11 then - just assumed it was as everything else seems to be 11.

Not sure how I can check this as I can't open the programme!

I definitely haven't moved the programme over from another computer.

Will have a rummage around and see if I can find out which version I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thread moved as it's not really an iOS issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Had a fiddle through various menus and found that I am using version 10.2.2

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
My guess is it is something to do with the .XML file, due to what vansmith has said earlier.

If you had a neat library you could just create a new library then reimport.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try this - move the file ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml (~ = your home directory) to the Desktop (or anywhere outside of that folder). Try to launch iTunes after you've done that. If it opens, you'll know for sure that the library was the issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Try this - move the file ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml (~ = your home directory) to the Desktop (or anywhere outside of that folder). Try to launch iTunes after you've done that. If it opens, you'll know for sure that the library was the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've tried this and get the same message - am I right in thinking I will need to re-install the application now? Or is there another magic way to mend it??!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Move the whole content of the iTunes folder - not just the XML file. That file is there mainly as a backup and for third party apps. The main library file is another one (the XML file is updated periodically to mirror the real library).

Alternatively, open iTunes while holding down option and create a new library somewhere else and see if that works.

OP
A
Reaction score
Done as suggested by Aptmunich and can now open iTunes (have also upgraded to the newest version) Thank you for your assistance! :)

Only issue now is that all the music I had in the other folder has all gone. It's all stuff that I have purchased from iTunes so I would have assumed that it would be in my account with them - the money I had left in my account is there (thankfully).

Back to the drawing board for me then!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.