Changing admin password

Reaction score
I bought an iMac which is running OS X 10.5.8 and I am trying to change the admin password. Here are the steps I took:
1) Restart machine, holding down Apple key and "S" after the startup tone.
2) With this text :)/ root# ) already on the screen and no apparent way to delete it, I typed the following command: /sbin/fsck -fy and the computer checked several files and the last line of text in this command sequence was "The volume HD appears to be OK."
3) With the same text as above already on the screen, I typed this command: /sbin/mount -uw / which was a quick action and the computer generated the same text :)/ root# )
4) Following this text, I typed "passwd [username] and in a few seconds, the computer generated the following text: "Changing password for [username] and on the line below, "New password:"

At this point, my keyboard was disabled and I wasnt able to enter a new password. How do I proceed from this point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do you know the old admin password and do you have the restore disk for that mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.