iTunes store - infuriating to navigate - have I missed something?

Reaction score
The iTunes Store has been frustrating me incredibly, and I'm guessing I must have missed something really obvious.

If I want to compare a few different iPhone apps (camera apps for example) then after doing my search I can only click on one app to view details. After that I have to hit the back button and choose another app to view its details, and then the back button again and the previous app button again to compare it. And so on, backwards and forwards again and again between a number of different apps.

Such viewing one app at a time makes comparisons ridiculously difficult. The app description pages don't allow copying of text either so one cannot copy/paste and compare them in say a text document.

Surely one of the most basic functions of a store is to provide side-by-side comparisons, but I cannot see any way to open app details in a new tab or a new window. I cannot believe for a minute that Apple would have neglected to include some kind of tabbed browsing of the store, or multiple windows in the iTunes app. But I can't find it anywhere, or see any preference setting, etc.

Please, somebody - what have I missed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Surely one of the most basic functions of a store is to provide side-by-side comparisons, but I cannot see any way to open app details in a new tab or a new window. I cannot believe for a minute that Apple would have neglected to include some kind of tabbed browsing of the store, or multiple windows in the iTunes app. But I can't find it anywhere, or see any preference setting, etc.

I don't think you missed anything, I think it's just a design issue. Apple apparently didn't think of offering a way to compare Apps. You might want to provide some feedback on that as it's a very good idea.

Apple - iTunes - Make Request for the iTunes Store

Reaction score
I also find iTunes frustrating. Unlike browser-based services it's not quick and simple to browse around comparing different albums or apps.

I tend to check browse different music websites and then when/if I decide I want to buy something then search for it in iTunes and if it's the right price I buy it.

Can't really do the same with apps though.

:(

C

chas_m

I have a plug-in for Safari that will force iTunes links to open in a browser (which of course has tabs). You'll still have to find the links somehow (I use "name of album + iTunes" in Google to do this most of the time), but as browsers have tabs that should solve the problem.

Also, iTunes makes it pretty easy to jump to another album if you know the name of the band. Just use the search bar from whichever album you're currently on, that will take you to the band's releases, pick the next album you want to check out and done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.