How can I close the lid on my MacBook Pro and still keep running?

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. However, I want to pick up the 27inch Apple LED monitor so I can get a bigger view when working at my computer desk. Can I close the lid of my MBP and still have the power on (is there any way to set this in preferences)? The reason I'm asking is because I ordered a larger keyboard to type on. So can I use the external keyboard, while the lid on the MBP is closed? I know this is a newby type question
but I just want to make sure. Thanks as always everyone.

May God bless.

Ed:)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
caffeine and insomniaX.

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that I connect up to a Mac USB Keyboard and an LG LED Display. When you close the lid on the MacBook it goes to sleep. A simple tap of a few keys on the keyboard and the MacBook wakes up but only displays on the monitor.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
+1 for Insomniax, but do remember you have it running if you go to move the 2011 MBP

Cheers

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Why do you need to close it anyway ??

Reaction score
Why do you need to close it anyway ??

I close the lid on my MacBook as my monitor is much larger so when at home I prefer to use the larger screen and by closing the lid, the MacBook screen goes off thus saving power etc.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I close the lid on my MacBook as my monitor is much larger so when at home I prefer to use the larger screen and by closing the lid, the MacBook screen goes off thus saving power etc.
Well - it certainly saves power - as closing the lid sends it to sleep !;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well - it certainly saves power - as closing the lid sends it to sleep !

Not necessarily. Did you read the previous replies about using software to keep it awake and have you read the Apple KB article about how to use your MacBook and MacBook Pro in clamshell mode with an external monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Just make sure that when using it in clamshell mode, you unplug it when not using it. Keeping it plugged in all the time is not good for the battery. The cells need to be run continuously for good health. Trust me, I've been running my MacBook Pro in Clamshell mode for 3 years.

You don't need any extra software to run it this way, either. You just need to have the power plugged in, and to have your USB peripherals set to wake the MacBook with usage.

Doug

Reaction score
How likely is it for InsomniaX to cause hardware problems on a new MBP? Does it void AppleCare? Seems like running with InsomniaX wouldn't be any different from Clamshell mode (in terms of risk of overheating) as long as you turn off the display.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would you even want to use software to prevent your machine from sleeping if you intend to use it as a desktop and in clamshell mode? Neither method voids your warranty and running in clamshell mode does not harm the machine, otherwise Apple would say so.

I ran my MacBook like that for three years and it's fine. Never overheated once. The caveat here is that when running in clamshell mode you must be attached to AC power otherwise the external monitor will not come on.

Reaction score
I don't intend to use it with an external monitor in clamshell mode; that's why I was going to use InsomniaX. I only mentioned clamshell mode because it suggests that the InsomniaX warning (telling you it might cause overheating) need not be heeded. I'll probably end up using InsomniaX for playing music and recording lectures. Maybe for long downloads/uploads when I want to stow my computer away.

Thanks for answering my question!

Reaction score
Clamshell Mode

Malch,

Have you tried connecting your Macbook to power and a keyboard/mouse combo when closing the lid?

By default, the Macbook can function when closed when it detects it has power, a keyboard (keyboard/mouse), and an external display. The keyboard and/or mouse (?, not sure if its one, the other, or both) is/are necessary to wake the computer when the lid is closed.

I've personally never tried to wake the computer when the macbook only has the keyboard/mouse and power attached. It may be worth a shot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.