MY Macbook Pro just died!! What do I do?

Reaction score
THe battery life appears to be fine, and I have tried the normal procedures to get it up and running. When I press the power button nothing happens, no noise, no fan, no music, nada, nothing. DEAD! Of course it is 1.5 months after my warranty runs out but I am truly clueless as to what could be the cause. I will be honest in that about a week before hand, it got a bit wet when I left it outside on my deck and it started raining and I ran out to get it as soon as I saw the rain, but it ran fine for a few days after that, so it could be a possibility. I am really at a loss of what to do. It is a 2009 17" Macbook Pro, and it is not getting any power to it at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would be betting that that rain was enough for it to not work . . . . . It could well of taken a cpl of days for the water to seep in and do the damage to it. Water will short electronics out if hit full on, but the other danger is the long term danger of moisture corroding components . . .

I would recommend taking it apart, battery out and so on and have a look inside it . . . . Sorry you had to come to this forum under such bad news ..

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Cheers

C

chas_m

From what you've told us, I'm inclined to agree with TattooedMac's diagnosis. Since it's out of warranty, you could try taking the entire thing apart and burying it all in a bucket of rice for a few days, put it back together and maybe it will work.

OP
S
Reaction score
I know very little about these once taken apart, so if I were to take it in to be repaired, what should I expect that woudl need replacing. Also, it only was rained on for a very brief period, maybe 30 seconds at most and it was not like it was sopping wet or anything. But it did get wet so that is my working theory. What type of repairs would I be looking at for something like this, or should I just dumb the entire thing and call it a loss. It seems like this should be fixable, but maybe I am being overly opitmistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The easiest thing to do is take it into a  store if you are close enough bc they will take it apart free of charge look at it and tell you the problem.
Its then they tell you you have no warranty and what the problem is. If its wet, forget it and look at $500+ . . . . What electronically that could be corroded Your guess is as good as mine.
If your lucky enough and the water indicators show it didnt get wet then what the problem is will be up to the geniuses . . . . . . They wont replace or repair a single thing until they have talked to you about it, but a  store would be the 1st port of call . . .

Cheers

EDIT : If you want to look at a tear down yourself then have a look at iFixit ~ 17" MBP TearDown

C

chas_m

PS to what TM said ... just in case it wasn't clear: DO NOT attempt to lie to them about what happened. Your only hope of any compassion hinges on you being brutally honest.

OP
S
Reaction score
PS to what TM said ... just in case it wasn't clear: DO NOT attempt to lie to them about what happened. Your only hope of any compassion hinges on you being brutally honest.

I don't really see the point in lying about this, it was an accident, and accidents do happen. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

C

chas_m

I apologise if my post could be misinterpreted as saying I thought you might be considering lying about it. Obviously I have no idea about that, but as one for the former guys on the other side of that counter --- OMG you would NOT believe the whoppers I have heard.

Reaction score
Can a little bit of rain kill a Mac? I would have tough that Apple at least made a solid product that could resists a little rain. I'm going to buy a raincoat for my MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can a little bit of rain kill a Mac? I would have tough that Apple at least made a solid product that could resists a little rain. I'm going to buy a raincoat for my MBP.

The only notebook computer that I ever saw which was touted to be water resistant and weather proof was the "GRID", a special computer for field use purchased by the US Government. Not only was it costly, it was also a good way to build up your Biceps and Triceps by carrying it around. :)

C

chas_m

Seriously, has nobody explained to you about water and electricity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yeah, cuz Windows computers are waterproof.

Reaction score
actually you theres a command you can use to waterproof your entire pc! just run cmd.exe in mac i think you guys can do it too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
THe battery life appears to be fine, and I have tried the normal procedures to get it up and running. When I press the power button nothing happens, no noise, no fan, no music, nada, nothing. DEAD! Of course it is 1.5 months after my warranty runs out but I am truly clueless as to what could be the cause. I will be honest in that about a week before hand, it got a bit wet when I left it outside on my deck and it started raining and I ran out to get it as soon as I saw the rain, but it ran fine for a few days after that, so it could be a possibility. I am really at a loss of what to do. It is a 2009 17" Macbook Pro, and it is not getting any power to it at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Lesson learned? Don't leave it outside unless you are with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.