Apple ibook G4 -deal or no deal?

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get an ibook and I came across a used/refurbished one on ebay..I know what you're probably thinking...Ahh no! Why not get your own new one! Stay away from ebay! But I'm a poor student and I came across what I believe to be a pretty good deal (more than half the price of most items up) I'd love for you guys to advise me on this one though.

Specs:

Apple iBook G4
Prcessor: 1.07GHz G4
Display: Screen Size 12.1".
Hard Drive: 20GB
Memory: 768MB ( DDR Ram )
Optical Driver: CD-RW/DVD drive
Usb Ports: 2
Firewire Port: Yes
Ethernet: Yes
WiFi: Yes, Airport Extreme
Modem: Yes
Networking : Networking Type Integrated Wireless LAN ( AIRPORT CARD )
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Battery Technology Lithium ion ( Excellent Working battery but, no warranty )

CONDITION:
You are bidding on a used Apple G4 iBook that is in great condition. This laptop has a fresh installation of Mac OS X 10.4, Realplayer, Toast 9 Titanium and MacTuneup. The shell is in good condition with no pressure marks however, there might be few scratches due to wear and tear on the outside case but, nothing that affects performance. Comes with AC Adapter and a working battery about 3.5+ hours.

I'm also factoring in that the return policy is DOA, 2 days.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Nothing wrong with eBay if you pick sellers with 100% feedback, or over 98% for PayPal warranty. Make sure the Tiger, Toast etc discs are included otherwise the seller is putting them on illegally.

Bear in mind G4's are getting long in the tooth, like me, and are worth very little, maybe $75.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
We can't know if it's a good deal without a price.

edit: As harry mentioned, programs can be illegally downloaded, and are rampant on sites such as ebay and craigslist. If they mention a program, make sure they have the install disk for it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry about that! Guess I was a little over excited and forgot to put a price down!

I've been finding some $75 and below (without discs and power adapters) and around $160 (without discs with power adapters)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't pay 160 for one even if it had the disks. To be honest, don't look at an old 1.07ghz computer to run any of those programs as fast as you think they will run. That's why I wouldn't pay that much for it. If I could get one for about 60-70 bucks(has to include original cables), with a similar condition as that offered for 160 including the disks, I would get it. I've started to grow real fond of the old g4 ibooks and powerbooks, but when I find one, I want it to be in perfect condition.

Realistically speaking though, 160 should get you a very decent ibook if you don't get suckered in by the programs. Pay for the good computer, not the software...which can be found any day of the week.

OP
L
Reaction score
Okay so how about I try this...to each of you....personally what would be a great deal in terms of buying on ebay...price, hd, features, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Personally, the ultimate thing that would make the deal for me would be the condition. That's the only thing you can't really *fix*. The hdd's wouldn't be a factor for me because I have plenty lying around. The price would go hand-in-hand with the condition. I have been looking around at some old macs, and it is definitely feasible to pick something up for around 150 bucks, while still being in very good condition. I haven't checked to much into CL though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Just got offered this deal:

G4 ibook, 30gb, 384mb ram

All original install discs (ilife, ms office, etc.)

new air extreme installed

new dvd/cd drive

Great Condition

$140

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What's the processor speed?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
800 is going to be quite slow. I would (if you are going with an iBook to save $$$) at least get the last generation 12" with a 1.33Ghz G4. Also unless you have 1GB RAM things are not going to be very fast today.

It really depends on what you need speed wise and what you are going to try and do, but you would be better off with a Intel Macbook. Even the very first 12" Macbook will run circles around the iBook G4 or any other iBook. Price for the Macbook 1st Gen will be higher but well worth it if you can afford it.

Also the G4 is not supported anymore and more and more apps will not run.

Just for a note, I own a last generation 1.33Ghz iBook G4. I have 1.5GB RAM in it and with 10.5, it's useable for most basic things I do. Some will disagree, but hey, I am poor also. I would buy a Macbook in a heartbeat if I could afford one right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.