School Network Problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram
I just purchased my new 14" ibook about one month ago and could not be happier. I'm only having 1 problem, one of the major reasons i got it was to use the internet wirelessly at school. I have been using my own wireless network at my house since the day i bought it and its worked fine. But when i go to school, inside the school the wireless doesnt work, it cannot even detect it. i know its working though becuase the schools laptops wireless works in the same place mine doesnt. If you go outside of the school, like on the bus, it detects the internet, but it will not let me use it. I dont want to ask anyone at the school anything about it yet, because if they dont want me trying to connect i dont want them to know i'm trying. But my computer teacher said that he thought they may have made it so that only school laptops can access the wireless internet there now, if so is there ANY way to get past this?

any info you guys can give me would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If they are using MAC address filtering you will not be able to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I would go to the computer teacher and tell him that you bought the powerbook to use at school and ask him/her to add it to the list of computers that can connect to the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea do that rather than resorting to use KisMac otheriwse you may get into serious trouble

M

menace3054

inflexion said:
yea do that rather than resorting to use KisMac otheriwse you may get into serious trouble

at my school.. university of arizona... i had to register my mac address with campus computing, and then i need to use a virtual private network client to log on.. im willing to bet, that at the least, you need to register your mac address

M

Merlinblack

Also if they are not broadcasting the ssid (I think they are as you can see it outside the school) you may have an option in mac prefrences turned to join prefered networks first . I have that set to automatic and it will connect to any network including my GF's which isn't broadcasting the ssid.

But my best guess is that they are using mac filtering for thier network to keep random people out.

Reaction score
menace3054 said:
at my school.. university of arizona... i had to register my mac address with campus computing, and then i need to use a virtual private network client to log on.. im willing to bet, that at the least, you need to register your mac address

Hey, I have the same type of network at college. I have registered my MAC address but no one there seems to be able to help me. I have been trying to connect using Airport but I would be interested in hearing how exactly do you connect??

Thanks

Shane

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.