Macbook Advice- Please Help

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am a new user, but a huge Apple-freak.

Heres my situation:
I currently own a Mid 2007 White Macbook with these specs

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

It also has a 120gb hardrive.
I have 82 GB available on my Macbook. My charge cycle is perfectly fine. My problem is that I just find the computer really slow. I have friends and family that have the Macbook Pro and the specs/performance are just leaps and bounds better. I DON'T have many applications on my Macbook and I try to make sure that many aren't running at the same time. I don't use imovie and I don't edit videos. I use Skype, iChat, iTunes, Safari (Youtube/Facebook/etc), and Microsoft Word.

So here's the deal... I am going to University in September, and my parents said I could get a new 2011 Macbook Pro, but I have been waiting since February and plan to wait until March 2012 for the NEW 2012 Macbook Pro because I believe that the design will change from the current unibody design, or that the update will at least be more significant than the current update with the thunderbolt and etc. So the million dollar question is, WHAT DO I DO FROM NOW UNTIL MARCH? My computer is slow and I need something in the meantime but I really want to wait it out. I already maxed out the specs of my Macbook. I know I can upgrade to 4gb ram but Apple told me it won't register (because Apple states the max is 2gb) and also I am not sure if I will see a drastic change with 2GB of ram.

Any ideas/comments/advice would be REALLY appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple dont officially support more than 3 gig in that model, but 4 gig can be installed

OWC 53IM2DDR4GBK 4.0GB Kit (2.0GB+2.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

I would also run disk utility on that mac and repair permissions if you dont do much TLC on that one. Mine works fine, but could do with a memory upgrade.

Also download the lastes combo update for your system, even if the OS is otherwise up to date. Is that one running 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow leopard

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The thing is..will I notice a difference with the 4gb ram?
How much am I looking at if I want to trade this with cash for a MBP on these forums?
How do I repair permissions?
I am on the latest Snow Leopard version.

OP
M
Reaction score
please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Anywhere I can trade it for a Unibody Macbook/Macbook Pro if I add a fair amount of cash?

Reaction score
Disk repair options are located in the disk utility in your utilities folder. These are not the most robust disk repair tools, but they do pretty well if you use them regularly.

You may need more potent 3rd party software such as Onyx to really get your disk back into good shape.

When you get your new MacBook Pro, seriously consider getting a SSD drive. Moving parts are the bottle neck of today's computer and the HDD really is the bottleneck in most systems. Yes they are expensive, but when you use one you'll never go back to a spinning HDD for a system drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.