Trackpad on macbook pro won't click unless I press it hard.

Reaction score
For several months now I have had a trackpad on my macbook pro 13" unibody that isn't possible to click with. I have tried opening it up and turning the torxscrew inside as I heard it might fix the problem, but without success.

If I press the trackpad down hard, it does click.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
There could be something between it, have you cleaned it already?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For several months now I have had a trackpad on my macbook pro 13" unibody that isn't possible to click with. I have tried opening it up and turning the torxscrew inside as I heard it might fix the problem, but without success.

If I press the trackpad down hard, it does click.

Anyone have any ideas for a solution to my problem?

Push on the bottom part of the trackpad (not the top). The trackpad is "hinged" at the top (the part nearest to the keyboard)...thus harder to press (at the top).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Push on the bottom part of the trackpad (not the top). The trackpad is "hinged" at the top (the part nearest to the keyboard)...thus harder to press (at the top).

HTH,

- Nick

I'm sorry, i expressed myself fuzzy. It does click and I can hear it clicking. What I should have written is that the clicks is not being recognized on the computer unless I press really hard (no matter if I press on the upper or bottom part)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, i expressed myself fuzzy. It does click and I can hear it clicking. What I should have written is that the clicks is not being recognized on the computer unless I press really hard (no matter if I press on the upper or bottom part)

Ok...got ya!:)

You didn't mention the exact model of this MacBook...but in any case...if you happen to still have Applecare on it...have Apple check it out.

BTW...there were no liquid spills involved with this...were there??;)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score

HTH,

- Nick

Ok...got ya!:)

You didn't mention the exact model of this MacBook...but in any case...if you happen to still have Applecare on it...have Apple check it out.

BTW...there were no liquid spills involved with this...were there??;)

- Nick

It's a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)

No, sadly I don't :(

Hah, and no liquid involved :)

When googling the issue I found an article that claims that "apple forums are filling with complaints from people who claim the glass-covered trackpad on their MacBook is failing to register their clicks" so I find it strange that it can be so hard finding a solution..

Link to the article:
New MacBook trackpad sparks flurry of complaints | News | PC Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
What happens if you just turn tap to click on in System Preferences? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it'll give you the ability to click while we here at the forums (or Apple, for repair service) can think of a way to fix the problem...

Here's the path within SysPrefs to turn on tap to click just in case you don't know how:

Applications Folder-> System Preferences->Trackpad Pane->Clicking (Or tap to click, or something to this effect).

Hopefully this provides a temporary solution to alleviate the annoyance of having to press this hard, and to alleviate the pressure you're having to put on the trackpad to click.

OP
O
Reaction score
What happens if you just turn tap to click on in System Preferences? I know it doesn't solve your problem, but it'll give you the ability to click while we here at the forums (or Apple, for repair service) can think of a way to fix the problem...

Here's the path within SysPrefs to turn on tap to click just in case you don't know how:

Applications Folder-> System Preferences->Trackpad Pane->Clicking (Or tap to click, or something to this effect).

Hopefully this provides a temporary solution to alleviate the annoyance of having to press this hard, and to alleviate the pressure you're having to put on the trackpad to click.

Thank you, yes I have tap to click turned on :)

And thanks for trying to think of a solution!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I've read a few discussions on Apple's Support Community and there have been one or two people with a seemingly similar situation. This one looked to have a bit more information to read through than others I've seen. I saw multiple people suggesting a trip to the local Apple store. One person said he had improved results with different angles when clicking...

Hope something in here helps!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When googling the issue I found an article that claims that "apple forums are filling with complaints from people who claim the glass-covered trackpad on their MacBook is failing to register their clicks" so I find it strange that it can be so hard finding a solution..

When Googling a problem...you can almost always find others that have a similar problem. And if you continue to look...you start to fell like "everyone" is having the problem. But in reality...99.99% of users do not have a problem (or the vast majority of users)...leaving only 0.01% with a "possible problem".

From that 0.01% subtract the folks that are just confused or are having "user error issues"...and the number of folks with a "true problem" become very very small. So in this case...it may not be a problem that effects many users...thus the reason why it's hard to find a solution via Google.

Sorry for no real solution...just trying to give some perspective on why a solution may be hard to find.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
I have seen this diagnosed before as the cause being a bulging battery. Does yours seem ok? Apple will usually comp a repair on a bulged battery.

Reaction score
Solution

I have a solution!

After trying everything the only thing that worked for me was to turn OFF "Tap to Click" in System Preferences>Trackpad..... Then try clicking/dragging/dropping items in your finder. Restart if need be. It should start working and then you can turn tap to click back on!

Voila!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.