MacBook shift keys malfunctioning

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to ask this question, apologies if not.

Yesterday afternoon, seemingly for no reason, both my shift keys stopped working normally. When I press the right one the dashboard appears slowly on the screen, when I press the left one it types a capital R. The actual 'r' key is seemingly also affected and will only type capital R and not lowercase (I'm using a different keyboard to type this message.)

I've tried resetting the keyboard shortcuts to default in system preferences, and also signed out of my account and signed in as a guest on the computer, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Do you have a bootcamp? Try there, maybe its software related. If it happens in windows too then you might have bigger problems..

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply.
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by bootcamp.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's not happening on the same computer on a different keyboard it's unlikely to be anything related to software settings. What's been spilled on the keyboard? Have you tried a can of air and sprayed around under the keys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Thanks for your speedy reply.
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by bootcamp.

Bootcamp = starting up Windows instead of OSX when starting up your computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.