Firefox and Safari Bookmarks

Reaction score
Hi All!

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone and that after leaving the Mac community for 12 years, I'm happy to be back!

I have a bit of a newbie question/problem.

I run both Safari and Firefox and have bookmarks from both browsers on the desktop. Currently, Safari is the default browser. Every time I open a Firefox bookmark, it opens it with Safari.

What I want to do is to have bookmarks from both browsers on my desktop and have them open up with their native application.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not really sure that's possible without editing each individual file each time. You could drag the icon onto the browser you want to open it with on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
YOu are placing bookmark files on the desktop - is that to keep all common bookmarks available to each browser?

Clicking on that file will open in OS X.s default browser, and you can only have one default program for any file type (like.html)

If you want to have the same bookmarks across all our browsers I would not keep them on the desktop, but use each browsers bookmark menu, and keep everything in sync using a cloud service like XMarks

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

That way you can also use xMarks to get your bookmarks when you are away at work or visiting family, and any changes you make will be reflected across all browsers and computers you are using XMarks on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.