Microsoft Office and Macros

Reaction score
I just had my computer reimaged by my new school (they just installed the newest version of Mac OS and some extra software - there were no changes made to the operating system). I just reinstalled Microsoft Office 2011. I do debate, and for debate we use a template with macros. When I try to open a file, office strips the macros and immediately saves over the file with a copy that doesn't contain the macros. Does anyone know what's going wrong or what I can do to fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm on a different machine right now but from memory... you have to enable the macro feature otherwise for safety sake work will strip them from the document before opening it.

I believe you can find that option under the top menu "Tools". If it's not there, use the Word help feature to find it.

OP
G
Reaction score
According to Word Help, all I have to do to enable macros is uncheck the box in Word preferences. I did that, but they still aren't working.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps the macros are not compatible with Word 2011? Macros created with older versions of Word or some versions of Windows Word may not work right in Word 2011. I've had to personally recompile macros even in Windows when moving up to a newer version of Word.

OP
G
Reaction score
I know they're compatible because they were working in Word 2011 before my computer was reimaged.

OP
G
Reaction score
It would seem that the macros are only being stripped from files that I download. Anything that I create on my computer works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.