Date and Time issues

Reaction score
i have a Apple iBook G4/1.2 12-Inch and every time i shut it down and reboot it the date and time are changed to like 1969????!!! I have to keep changing it back to the current date and time. i know on some G4 towers there is a battery u can replace when this happens. Is the process similar on a iBook????!!!help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
From what I recall, there is no PRAM battery in the iBooks. It uses the main battery for this.

Is your battery dead?

Have you tried resetting the PMU - link?

OP
B
Reaction score
From what I recall, there is no PRAM battery in the iBooks. It uses the main battery for this.

Is your battery dead?

Have you tried resetting the PMU - link?

I tried starting the ibook with the battery only and i tried starting the ibook with the power only ( battery removed) and i still get the " Time and date error issue".......If i reset the PMU, what are the consequences ????? I dont want to screw up my iBook????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's going to reset the time the same as you're seeing now when you 1st reset it. It resets the power management functions of the machine. Won't do anything else that you'll notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Knowing these laptops well, this could also be a sign of the logic board failing, every one I owned had this issue when that happened.
Resetting, as Bob suggests is a good idea, and it wouldn't hurt to reset nvram too.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First as Bobtomay said, iBooks use a capacitor and the Main Battery to keep the PRAM settings. If the battery is still good and powers the iBook with the Power unplugged, then try Resetting the PRAM. Boot holding Command+Option+P+R right at or after the Startup Sound. Keep the 4 keys down till you hear at least 2 Startup Sounds.

Then reset the clock and power down.

If that does not work, Kev maybe correct.

BTW, the capacitor is so you can change out the main battery and not loose time.

OP
B
Reaction score
First as Bobtomay said, iBooks use a capacitor and the Main Battery to keep the PRAM settings. If the battery is still good and powers the iBook with the Power unplugged, then try Resetting the PRAM. Boot holding Command+Option+P+R right at or after the Startup Sound. Keep the 4 keys down till you hear at least 2 Startup Sounds.

Then reset the clock and power down.

If that does not work, Kev maybe correct.

BTW, the capacitor is so you can change out the main battery and not loose time.

FYI - I reset the PRAM and all is well. I reset the clock and date and tested the ibook by rebooting it several times throughout the day and week and it appears to be working fine, cool !!!!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.