intel macs

M

msett

Ok. I know this is discussed so I hope I wont be killed for posting this. Anyways, I was planning get a Imac G5 17inch coming up here. Now some people say I should wait for intel and buy a mac mini for mean time. Still spending a lot of money so I am thinking that I might as well just pay for an imac right now. Will they all the sudden stop making software for G5's after next year? Also if come next summer I am using my Imac, will it be consider I am using an old retired computer? I know you can always wait for something new so I figured there is no point in waiting. Yes, I dont need a mac but I want one. But do you guys truly think its a smart move to buy a new mac considering Intel coming next year? Will I still have a good computer that will run programs for at least the next several years, or am I buying something at the end of its life? I think I decided I can just wait since something new is coming since there is always something new coming. But give me your clear cut good opinions.

Matt

Reaction score
msett said:
Will I still have a good computer that will run programs for at least the next several years?
Yes, it will be good for many many years.

OP
M

menace3054

your computer will be just as good then as it is now, which is pretty darn good! Apple has stated that the powerpc will be supported for a long time, considering how long they have used them and how many people own them. Also, one thing to consider, is that the first batch of intel run macs will probably be with their fair share of bugs. As with any major hardware development, there are bound to be glitches. The powerpc is a great processor, and the imac, a great computer. you will not be disapointed, and it will be a good computer for quite some time.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

In the meantime, you could use the 'Search' facility and read the many similar threads that already exist for more assurance :p

But in short: Yes

OP
M

msett

mangoSharingan said:
In the meantime, you could use the 'Search' facility and read the many similar threads that already exist for more assurance :p

But in short: Yes
I will search more.

Now what are you saying yes to? Buying now or waiting?

Matt

OP
M

menace3054

msett said:
I will search more.

Now what are you saying yes to? Buying now or waiting?

Matt

he meant yes as in if you buy now, itll be a good computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.