SATA III / 3 6GBP/s SSD MBP 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Hi guys,

Firstly, i have done some searching but i couldn't find a conclusive answer. I've just purchased a caddy and an external CD enclosure as i plan to run 2 x HDD's in my MBP.

I've already replaced the standard 5400rpm drive with a Momentus XT which was a good performance upgrade but i've noticed that youtube occasionally seizes up for half a second and a couple of other things. Apart from that the drive is awesome. I could get by without upgrading but i am a technology addict and can't resist upgrading.

I'm looking at utilising the SATA III that my new MBP has which i believe leaves me with the option of a OWZ 6G or a OCZ Vertex 3. I plan on moving my HDD to the Superdrive location and the SSD in the current location as the Superdrive is only SATA II apparently. I realise that it won't be as good for the HDD in the Superdrive spot if the mac has any sudden movements but i'm not concerned about this.

Here is my question. I think i could get by with a 60G SSD as my Momentus would store photos, videos and music whilst the SSD would store the OS and Applications. I only have 5gig of applications at the moment so i can't see myself ever exceeding 60 in total.

The OWZ 6G and the Vertex 3's only come in 120gig+ and i don't really see much benefit of spending the extra money when i won't use the space. Am i missing something? Does anyone know of any SATA III SSD's that are in a capacity less than 120GIG? Maybe 60 or 80? And is anyone using that SSD in their machine?

Thanks for your time and responses in advance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.