Atv resetting problem fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I finally figured out how to stop having to reset the ATV every time I leave it for a couple of hours. Settings / General / Sleep After / Never I don't know how I missed this setting before, but now I have no problem with it going into perpetual sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I finally figured out how to stop having to reset the ATV every time I leave it for a couple of hours. Settings / General / Sleep After / Never I don't know how I missed this setting before, but now I have no problem with it going into perpetual sleep mode.

You shouldn't have to reset it after it goes to sleep, and telling it to not sleep isn't necessarily a good idea. Are you sure you weren't failing to wake it up properly when it is asleep? What remote are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air 256GB, 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz, 3 (yes 3) Apple TV2's, AT&T iPhone4
Know there is a delay in replying to this post, but hey man, it's my first day. I had the same problem of having to restart or reset almost daily. I have 3 ATV's and I was constantly having to reset them after sleepy time. I discovered the 'Never' option as well and it worked great. But now....I use a custom screen saver from a specific folder for my ATV's and when I go to use the ATV it works great on everything BUT my iTunes streaming. All the movies I have in iTunes can't be found. The library can be found, but none of the 200+ movies. NetFlix works, PPV works, just not my iTunes. But like lifeisabeach said, "..telling it not to sleep isn't necessarily a good idea" and I agree. That means its constantly sending and receiving and that can only restrict life. But I am stuck on this one.

Details -- 3 ATV2's, iMac (running iTunes, always open), MacBook Air, all on same 802.11N network, 100MBps thru Comcast Xfinity.

Any help, advice or discussion is greatly appreciated.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking about putting a switch in the cord to the ATV to just shut it off, then back on when I use it. A pain in the Arss, but if it's not safe to never sleep, looks like that is the option I have left. I don't think the screen saver would be any different than the screen saver ATV already uses. Mine go to screen saver already, even when they're in the "never sleep" mode.
On Jun 26, 2011, at 4:30 AM, Mac-Forums.com wrote:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been testing this since 6:30a EDT on two TV's now and both are in NEVER sleep mode and both of course have woken up properly every single time since then. It seems there is a glitch somewhere

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been running both of mine like that "Never" mode for 5 weeks or so and they work just fine now. They're in the default screensaver mode with the scrolling animals when I turn my TV on, then they respond perfectly when I press the menu button. They don't really use any energy to speak of, so I am happy for now. If they quit 5 years from now......so what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, well after extensive discussion with an awesome gal at Apple named Susan, here is a very easy viable solution.

If you keep the ATV in the "Never" Sleep Mode it won't really hurt anything except using your home network bandwidth. But sometimes the cache folder in the ATV gets "clogged" (her phrase not mine) and a quick reset of the remote should clear it and IF that doesn't work, then the easiest thing to do is go into iTunes, go to Advanced, turn OFF Home Sharing, then turn it right back on, verifying of course that on the ATV it actually disconnected from Home Sharing. And voila, its all back and working fine. She said that Apple recommends using the Home Sharing on/off feature versus a hard reset to the ATV and makes sense to me.

I have now done this to all 3 ATV's and they are all back to working perfectly while streaming MY photos and not those silly animals and all my movies are there and it all just works.

I hope this helps someone else too.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't even figured out yet how to play the itunes or photos on my ATV to my TV yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean that you just use the NetFlix feature or the movies and TV shows from the main menu?

To stream movies, music and more to your ATV, its quite simple...

In iTunes go to Advanced and Turn ON Home Sharing
On your Apple TV enter your Apple ID (the same as your iTunes log on)
Enter your password for iTunes
Then you should see the following menu choices horizontally across the TV screen from the Apple TV

-- Movies (these are the movies direct from Apple)
-- TV Shows (also direct from Apple)
-- Internet (this is where you see NetFlix, MLB.TV, NBA etc)
-- Computers (you should see "My Library" or whatever you have it named)
-- Settings

Under the Computers menu choice you should see your library, open that and you'll see a vertical menu with choices like Music, Movies, Rentals, TV Shows, Podcasts, etc..so pick one

You should see your selection appear and you select it and voila, its playing on your TV

I rip a lot of movies with Handbrake and drop them into iTunes and they all appear right there doing the exact steps I just told you. watch and enjoy

As for YOUR pictures being the Screensaver, its a little more involved, so next post I will detail how to do that

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To use YOUR pictures as the Screensaver on your ATV...

First go to iTunes and under Advanced select, "Choose Photos to Share"
Make sure that the box is checked to "Share Photos from.."
Select your appropriate folder of photos
Select Apply at the bottom
(sidenote) make sure "Share Videos" is DEselected, I ran into some issues with this

Now on your Apple TV, go to Settings
Down to Screen Saver
Down to Photos
Under Computers you will see your library again
Select your library
Hit Menu to go back one screen (yes, I know there is more to do)
Select your style of ScreenSaver
- (I personally like Ken Burns WIPE but its up to you)
Use the Menu button to go back one screen again and select the amount of time you wish for the screensaver to start and voila, it works

Hope this helps

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just set it up a minute ago. The APPLE TV is even more awesome than I thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, I am glad I could help

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got my music files streaming, but there is no option to share photos in iTunes. My photos are in my iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually there is. Even if your photos are in iPhoto you can add them to your ATV screensaver by following same instructions I posted earlier. But the folder you would select would be your iPhoto Library

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But there is no iPhoto file in iTunes as you can see in this Screen shot
screenshot20110626at649.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the menu bar click on Advanced then go down to "Choose Photos to Share" and from that selection you'll be able to pick your iPhoto folder.

You may have to hunt for the actual photo library but you'll find it and then you select that iPhoto Library Folder and voila you're all set

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am also thinking the continuation of this thread belongs in another area or section. As we are no longer dealing with the resetting issue. Is there a Mod that can help me out here?

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not there.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, finally figured it out. I was going into the iTunes menu from the top left main menu by the Apple sign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good I am glad you got it. Also as a sidenote, I would be careful with your screen shots. From that screen shot, I got your name and whatnot and I am not sure how you are privacy but just a head's up in case you didn't know.

I am glad the ATV is now working well for you, enjoy it. I know we enjoy the **** out of ours

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.