Cannot find 3GS backup to restore new iphone 4

Reaction score
I'm having trouble switching from my old 3GS to my new iphone 4. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an older ATT 3GS. I bought a new Vz iphone 4. I followed the steps to backup my iphone 3GS. With the iphone 3GS still plugged in, I checked the drop-down menu to make sure the backup was there. It was.

So I unplug the 3GS, and plug in the new iphone 4. When given the options to set up a new phone or restore from a backup, I choose to restore from a backup. But when I go to the drop-down menu to select my 3GS backup, it's not there! Now what?! I'm frustrated that I couldn't figure this out on my own. But I'm not having any luck so I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks!
p.s. using macbook pro OS X version 10.6.7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm having trouble switching from my old 3GS to my new iphone 4. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an older ATT 3GS. I bought a new Vz iphone 4. I followed the steps to backup my iphone 3GS. With the iphone 3GS still plugged in, I checked the drop-down menu to make sure the backup was there. It was.

So I unplug the 3GS, and plug in the new iphone 4. When given the options to set up a new phone or restore from a backup, I choose to restore from a backup. But when I go to the drop-down menu to select my 3GS backup, it's not there! Now what?! I'm frustrated that I couldn't figure this out on my own. But I'm not having any luck so I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks!
p.s. using macbook pro OS X version 10.6.7.

If you had the latest update to the 3Gs (4.3), then you can't use that to restore to the Verizon iPhone. It's only up to 4.2.6.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13196688?messageID=13196688

OP
asperanda
Reaction score
Ah bugger. That stinks. Well, at least now I know. Thanks.

Do the ATT iphone 4's go up to 4.3? If so, I still have time to return the VZ phone and get an ATT phone. VZ has better service where I am, but I don't want to transfer all this info manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ah bugger. That stinks. Well, at least now I know. Thanks.

Do the ATT iphone 4's go up to 4.3? If so, I still have time to return the VZ phone and get an ATT phone. VZ has better service where I am, but I don't want to transfer all this info manually.

Yes they do. Your Verizon phone should still sync your apps. If you have specific data from apps you need to save, you can pull them out using an app named "iPhone Explorer", though I can understand how that may be cumbersome if you have a lot of it to do. Here's a thread detailing how to use it:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ip.../239500-transfer-content-app-ipod-iphone.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.