Can I format an internal hard drive for Mac without another working hard drive?

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro's hard drive failed. I want to get a new one. The place I went said they charge for formatting a drive for mac. So I can pay them to format it, or do it myself.

I know formatting an external hard drive is pretty strait forward, but I've never done an internal one.

As my old hard drive is not working I cannot use it to turn my mac on and use the disk utility. Can I format the drive using my mac if the new hard drive is the only working hard drive I have for it?

Notes:
I have the install disk the Mac came with if I can use that for formatting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

in short - Yes.

Install the new drive, boot from install disc, select language, and then go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase and format the new drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and partition if necessary under Partition with GUID selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
yup, with the install disk in the drive, turn on computer while holding down the 'c' key. You can run disk utility from the install disk to format any connected drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.