iBook G4 Refurbished

Reaction score
Okay so I just bought a refurbished Apple iBook G4 from Newegg...
Just got it in today from UPS (6-2-11) and already see some major issue signs.

*Overheating (measured by high quality laser)
-The left hand side palm wrest area is reaching temperatures as high as 103.7F
-The keyboard area is reaching temperatures around 96F to 101F
-Front bottom (under palm wrest) is reaching temperatures between 105F and 110F
-Rear bottom (under keyboard) is reaching temperatures between 90F and 95F

*When browsing the Internet it will sometimes just completely stop loading anything for as
long as it feels like it
-1.33GHz CPU with 1.5GB DDR
-Newest version supported of Safari

*I know that when hard drives fail you get a lot of heat and sluggish performance...
-Should I remove the old 40GB (5-6yr) IDE drive and install a brand new 250GB
IDE drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Those temperatures are ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. Many MacBook & MacBook Pro users see temps close to 200°F. 90°F - 110°F for an iBook G4 is no problem.

Think of it this way. I'm not sure where you are located...but let's say your room temp is 80°F. Your iBooks temps of 90°F - 110°F are only 10°F - 30°F above room temp. That's nothing...no worries!:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
As far as replacing the hard drive, it's not a trivial task. There are no less than 30 screws, and often more, that have to be removed, removal of the bottom case and shield, removal of the top case and shield, and then you remove the drive and put it all back together again... I've done it many times, and I got to where I could do the whole process in 15-20 minutes, but it was never a fun project.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay guys so I am sending the unit back to the retailer and will be hopefully ordering a newer Mac Book Pro with Intel processor...lets see if they agree to this because their standard return policy of notebook is exchange only...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is not one thing wrong with that ibook besides it's old and a bit slow. If you feel the iBook gets warm, wait till you use your LASER on a Macbook Pro!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay guys so I am sending the unit back to the retailer and will be hopefully ordering a newer Mac Book Pro with Intel processor...lets see if they agree to this because their standard return policy of notebook is exchange only...

Sounds like you're returning it because you don't like it...not because of the temps. Since as I stated above...there's nothing wrong with those temps.

Your decision of course,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
*Optical drive grinds like no other
*Wireless will not stay active
*Battery stopped charging above 58%
I can go on about the refurb job....

Would you send it back?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.