Unable to open/save pdf's in Safari or Firefox...

Reaction score
I am unable to open pdf files in Safari or Firefox on my iMac. I have no problems on either of my MacBook Pro's. When I try to save one I get this error..."The document “output.pdf” could not be exported as “Test”." I have tried to reset Safari, reboot, etc... Any idea's of what could be going on?

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
Also I have a separate logon for my daughter and when I logon under her name same thing, pdf's won't open in Safari/Firefox.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm going to guess you have a PDF file somewhere on your hard disk. Try single-clicking on it and hit Command + I. That should bring up the "Get Info" window. Under "Opens With", what program is listed?

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
It shows "Preview" as the default program to open pdf's. Pdf's on the hard drive always open in preview, but pdf's you click on in Safari/Firefix always opened in the browser, but won't now. I removed the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder, then it forces the pdf to download, which is ok for a temporary fix, but I would like pdf's to open in the browser as they always have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It shows "Preview" as the default program to open pdf's. Pdf's on the hard drive always open in preview, but pdf's you click on in Safari/Firefix always opened in the browser, but won't now. I removed the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder, then it forces the pdf to download, which is ok for a temporary fix, but I would like pdf's to open in the browser as they always have.

Sounds like you had Adobe Reader installed at one time - and if that's true, PDFs would have opened both in Safari and in Firefox within the scope of the browser window. That is not the default behavior for Firefox, although you can get a plugin that will force Preview to open PDFs in the Firefox window ("Firefox PDF Plugin for Mac OS X").

I really can't speak to Safari (I don't use it - and I could test, but at the moment I do have Adobe Reader installed), but someone else might be able to chime in.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I currently have Adobe Reader & Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional. I have had them both since day 1.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently have Adobe Reader & Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional. I have had them both since day 1.

Sounds like the browser plugin might be broken or disabled. Did you check your add-ins for each browser?

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I don't believe so, how would I do that. All I did was remove the adobepdfviewer plugin from the plug in folder. That forced the pdf's to download, but I really just want it the way it was before.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I uninstalled Acrobat & I'm reinstalling in now, perhaps that will help.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
Well after reinstalling Acrobat, it now downloads the PDF when you click on it, then opens it in Preview when you click on the downloaded file. I assume this is how Mac's behave out of the box? I can live with it, just am frustrated that I can't figure it out. My MacBook's still open pdf's in Safari.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
Thank you VERY much chas, that solved the problem! I'll save that link so if it ever happens again I can fix it.

Reaction score
"the document could not be exported as pdf"

I am unable to save PDFs in Safari. I tried the fix listed by chas_m, but it did not work. I have Safari 5.1.5 and Adobe Reader 10.1.3.

I would appreciate any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.