TotalFinder: Love it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think I may have heard of this app in passing a few times, but just ran into it again on a MacUpdate.com special promo (it's on sale for $9).

This thing is just amazing - it pretty much does everything I've always wished Apple would integrate into it. I particularly like the side-by-side directory comparison (without having to spawn a second Finder window):

2011-06-02_2102.png

...and of course, the integrated cut-and-paste features. It can also do away with the writing of .ds_store files all over the place:

2011-06-02_2104.png

I may write up a formal review on the blog later, but for right now, I'm digging this thing so much, I just had to share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
TotalFinder looks great! I have always wanted tabbed windows in Finder. I might have to buy it.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I've always thought about buying it as well, but it makes me feel so bitter that Apple just doesn't integrate these features into the Finder! And what if they do one day (dreaming?)...

What about resources.. what does Total Finder eat up CPU and RAM wise? I'm sure it's fairly minimal, but it's just another thing that makes me a bit sour. The fact that I'd have to waste resources on something which should be part of Finder etc..

Also, how well does it integrate into the system vs Finder? I use keyboard shortcuts like a madman with Finder.. would I be able to do the same with TF?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I've always thought about buying it as well, but it makes me feel so bitter that Apple just doesn't integrate these features into the Finder! And what if they do one day (dreaming?)...

What about resources.. what does Total Finder eat up CPU and RAM wise? I'm sure it's fairly minimal, but it's just another thing that makes me a bit sour. The fact that I'd have to waste resources on something which should be part of Finder etc..

Also, how well does it integrate into the system vs Finder? I use keyboard shortcuts like a madman with Finder.. would I be able to do the same with TF?

Doug

Excuse me if I am wrong, I don't know much about CPU usage, but wouldn't Finder with the same features as TotalFinder take up the same CPU?

- Kyle

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Yeah i thought it was brilliant too. Shame about the ugly Chrome-style tabs but hey **, I loved the split screen feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I don't see a separate process for total finder - it seems to run on top of finder. I bought Pathfinder before I found total finder. After re-installing my Mac - I bought Total finder (3 for $30 so the Promo is a good deal)

I found that most of the features I wanted from Pathfinder has been implemented in total finder for much less money. ($40 vs $15) - and it seems to be much less "heavy" as far as resources.

That being said there are some really cool things that Pathfinder does (type independent cover flow, very customizable hotkeys/menus) but it comes at a money/resource cost.

Lastly - I would say that Total Finder would fix the two major Windows switcher complaints about the plain old Finder (cut and paste files, folders on top)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use FIWI on top of Finder. It's not as robust as Total Finder but for .99 cents you can't go wrong.

The best addition to or substitute for Finder, is "muCommander" a free File Manager program similar to the old "Norton Commander" that some of us remember so well from the DOS days.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah i thought it was brilliant too. Shame about the ugly Chrome-style tabs but hey **, I loved the split screen feature.

Thought the same exact thing when I saw the screenshot. Split screen feature is awesome for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yep, came across that

I am running the 14 day trial and will be buying the app when the trial runs out, its been just what I was waiting for for a stable tabbed Finder add-on

Reaction score
I'm using it right now. Love it. The only problem that I don't like is having new windows opening with tabs that are already open. For example, if I have say, a Movie folder open on one of my spaces and on another I spotlight "Pictures", it will transfer over to the space with the open Movies folder and open the tab next to it.

Of course I can just close the tabs when I'm done but where's the fun in that? And it gets very tiring sliding and undocking tabs when I want to keep multiple windows organized.

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
is it in the app store ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.