Macbook Backlight Cable Burnt

Reaction score
So, as the title says, the black wire connecting to the backlight appears to have melted and was completely severed from the light itself.

My question is will I have to replace the entire cable, or would it be alright to just re-solder the wire to the backlight? Also, do you think there could be any damage to the inverter/inverter cord? They seem to be alright, but I am not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
Photos might be helpfull to give you better information. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chances are if the wire melted something had to cause that to happen. It could be a bad inverter board or the backlight itself. Since the backlight is a CCFD type (LEDs do not use an inverter.) it could have shorted out although that would be rare. More than likely it's a bad inverter.

Since you have everything apart, I would change out the inverter, the cable, and the backlight.

OP
M
Reaction score
The backlight did actually work prior to me taking the machine apart, I just had to constantly turn the brightness up and down which would make that backlight flicker on and off, and occasionally stay on for a few minutes.

Any suggestions on which inverter cable I should be looking to get?

Mine looks nothing like the ones i've seen on ebay, such as this

922-7612 Macbook 13" Cable, Inverter | eBay

This is what I have

photo (4).jpg

photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Disregard my last post, Ive figured out what is wrong with it.. Gonna replace the inverter/cable, thanks for the help everyone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.