Graphics resolution when conecting MBP

Reaction score
I have 2 monitors in the house.

1. Samsung 22" with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, and has a DVI input.

2. Benq 24" with native resolution of 1920 x 1200, and has an HDMI input.

I have a 15" Macbook pro MC723B/A with the default resolution of 1440 x 900. I have purchased 2 dongles from NEET one to use on the samsung and one to use on the Benq.

See here for the HDMI for the Benq Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter cable by Neet®: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics There is a similar one for the DVI on the Samsung..

I must be missing something here, because I presumed that when I connected any of the above monitors up to the MBP using the appropriate dongle, I would be able to operate it at the native resolution of the monitor, having set it up in the MBP display menu each time I connected. However, this does not seem to be the case.

When I connect either of them up, I can see on the screens the correct native resolution (1680 x 1050 for the Samsung and 1080P for the Benq), but the MBP is only displaying 1440 x 900 on them. If you understand what I mean? I do not wish to just have a larger 1440 x 900 screen shown to me, There is no point in that.

I must be doing something wrong! Surely I should be able to display at a higher resolution that is shown on the menu? If so how do I go about it? I have spent several hours trying to figure this out and I have tried absolutely everything in the display menu.

Could some kind person please advise me quoting which part of the menu system to go to and lead me through it step by step.

Thank you kindly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
How are you setting the monitor up? As an extension to your display or as a mirror?

Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How are you setting the monitor up? As an extension to your display or as a mirror?

Simon

Just to expand upon this - if it's set to mirror the built-in display, then it will resort to the lowest common denominator (i.e. the native resolution of the Mac's built-in display). If you set it to act as an extension, then it should default to the correct native resolution automatically. If it does not, it should allow you to force it through the 'Displays' control panel.

Now, if you were to close the lid and plug in the external display (i.e. only use the external) then it should work without any fuss at all (at least on the Acer - Samdung TVs are notoriously fickle).

OP
O
Reaction score

Simon

In the fruitless 2 hours I spent trying with both monitors, I tried:

a. As a mirror. Naturally as the word mirror states, it provided me with an exact copy of the desktop showing 1440 x 900. This is the only way one can get an application to show on the external monitor screen.

b. Connecting the external monitor and then through the control panel I was able to select the appropriate appropriate resolution for that monitor. In the case of 24" Benq, it is 1080p. It was selectable on the external monitor and the MBP. However, you cannot force anything. Once selected, you cannot implement it. It just sits as that resolution selection in the Graphics menu on the external monitor and on the MBP screen with the application bar at the bottom. Moreover, you cannot select any application and expect it to show on the monitor. It only opens up on the MBP. Closing the lid of the MBP only closes it down. Also the monitor is shutdown.

Any suggestions from users who actually run the MBP on an external monitor with the procedure used to do it would be gratefully accepted. I need to get this sorted out.

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
1.looks like we have the same hdmi adapter, only mine says "MonoPrice" on it, and got it for 7 bucks.
2. I have mine connected via hdmi going to my 32" Toshiba. If I set it up to mirror, the max I can do is 1440x900. If I set it up as an extension, the max I can run is 1080p. The things I can think of that might be limiting your resolution could be the monitors frame rate for that resolution, a bad cable, or you are actually referring to the quality of the pixels shown on text.

Could you post a screen shot of both? (shift + command + 3)

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks idrinorbarsaku

I have just come off the phone from Apple Care. Problem solved. It appears you cannot show the dock or any programs directly on the monitor unless you are in "mirror" mode because the most you can show is the default resolution for the MBP. I am sure you all know that as well as I do. To run applications in the 1080p mode (in this case) on the external monitor or TV, once this is selected on the external monitor, you set up both boxes (one for MBP screen and the other for the external monitor) side by side in system preferences graphics. Then, you open up the application on the MBP and drag it from the MBP to the external monitor. I need to be able to video edit on a larger screen to get the accuracy for editing down to single frames.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Or as it's also known as "Extended Desktop" ;)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.