• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Installing new RAM on a G5

T

temple

Question: does anyone know which is better? Installing a GIG chip on my G5, or two 512s? I have 1.5, but want to go to either 2, or 2.5. Thanks.

OP
S

sursuciofla

temple said:
Question: does anyone know which is better? Installing a GIG chip on my G5, or two 512s? I have 1.5, but want to go to either 2, or 2.5. Thanks.

I'd just go with the gig. Then if you want to go higher you won't be wasting a 512 if you ever want to just max it out. If you have a set number I imagine if it fails it is cheaper to replace a 512 versus a gig stick. But like I said with no other info on your future plans I'd just do the gig.

OP
B

badmojo

I've read in some PC magazines that 2 x 512 sticks run a little faster than 1 gig stick, but it would probably only be noticed in benchmarks. I'd probably go with the 1 gig stick if it's within your budget.

Reaction score
yea man, the G5 mother board supports Duel Channel RAM which means that you are gunna get it faster working off of 2 512 rather than 1 gig because it makes it where one stick is running one thing and the other is running something else rather then every thing mixed up in one stick

hope it helps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
temple said:

I suppose you're talking about a PowerMac G5, as the iMac G5 can't take more than 2GB anyway.
The PowerMacs need RAM in pairs, means when you upgrade it, you have to do it with 2 identical modules, and installing them in opposite slots, on on each memory bank. If you only add 1 module, it won't work.

The iMac G5 doesn't need paired RAM, but can take some benefit when putting 2 identical RAM modules. Though I never heard that it made really a huge difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
mynameis said:
I thought they had to be installed in pairs?
I thought so as well. Is this true? Ive been looking to get some RAM. Just dont know what kind... Brand and type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Avalon said:
I suppose you're talking about a PowerMac G5, as the iMac G5 can't take more than 2GB anyway.
The PowerMacs need RAM in pairs, means when you upgrade it, you have to do it with 2 identical modules, and installing them in opposite slots, on on each memory bank. If you only add 1 module, it won't work.
Avalon's got it.

Reaction score
TTheInfamous1 said:
I thought so as well. Is this true? Ive been looking to get some RAM. Just dont know what kind... Brand and type.

Go ready Apple's instructions for installing RAM in a G5 PowerMac, it states that it needs to be matching pairs. Just get some PC3200 from newegg.com. Rosewill, Corsair, Kingston, PQI and others are all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Go ready Apple's instructions for installing RAM in a G5 PowerMac, it states that it needs to be matching pairs. Just get some PC3200 from newegg.com. Rosewill, Corsair, Kingston, PQI and others are all good.
Yup... Read it last night after I posted;) . Glad came across this thread and read the G5 Manual. I would have made a mistake with the RAM.

Thanks for the website. Im going to check out there prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't want to start a new thread..

Just starting to shop around for memory after reading this thread.

Does anyone know if Hynix memory is any good or is it garbage? I can not really find any good tech info on them. The only info I come across is that creditors are chasing them for money owed. LOL

Anyway, your opinions on this type of memory is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Hynix is what came in my mini from Apple...
Okay, cool. Thanks.

Also, I made a thread about this but... Can my PM G5 use DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin from Samsung? Ive never heard of DDDR2.

Reaction score
TTheInfamous1 said:
Also, I made a thread about this but... Can my PM G5 use DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin from Samsung? Ive never heard of DDDR2.

No, it only has slots for regular DDR SDRAM, 184-pin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh... Okay, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.