retrieving photos from iPhoto Trash?

Reaction score
My motherboard unexpectedly died on my MBP. I just bought a HDD enclosure on Amazon and took out my HDD. There's no way to retrieve iPhoto photos if they aren't in the directory, right?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think the answer to that is, no. If you have another Mac you should be able to boot from the external drive (your old HDD) and everything should be unchanged from before your Motherboard died.
You can move your photos out of the trash and export them to a new folder if you wish.

I'm not certain, though, what would happen if you did a migration to a new Mac. Regardless, unless you write to the old drive all of your files should be just as they were before the crash.

C

chas_m

My motherboard unexpectedly died on my MBP. I just bought a HDD enclosure on Amazon and took out my HDD. There's no way to retrieve iPhoto photos if they aren't in the directory, right?

If it was the motherboard that died, and the hard drive is undamaged, then all your photos are fine.

You're not seeing them in the Pictures directory because they are stored inside iPhoto's Photo Library, which is a package.

All you have to do to "recover" them is to launch iPhoto *holding the option key down.* It will ask you if you want to open (or create) a library, point it to the one on your now-external HD and you should be right back where you were.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.