iOS4 Upgrade lost all my data!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
iTunes said it was backing everything up. But, it did not. Not only did it not back up anything, it did not check to make sure the back up worked, nor did it warn me to check that there was a current backup. Just one more example of Apple developers contempt for average users. Clearly reckless negligence. Started a twitter account AppleClassAct and on gmail same name. Get in touch if you have similar problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
iTunes said it was backing everything up. But, it did not. Not only did it not back up anything, it did not check to make sure the back up worked, nor did it warn me to check that there was a current backup. Just one more example of Apple developers contempt for average users. Clearly reckless negligence. Started a twitter account AppleClassAct and on gmail same name. Get in touch if you have similar problems.

Considering how millions of other iOS users have no such issues, it's clearer to me that something else happened, or you simply screwed something up on your own.

OP
A
Reaction score
lol

More contempt, no I followed the directions exactly. And there are other uses that have problems.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've upgraded, restored, downgraded and have done all sorts of variations on my iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G and never had a single problem of losing anything. Everything was always kept the way I left it before the upgrade process..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
More contempt, no I followed the directions exactly. And there are other uses that have problems.

We get dozens of people through here daily who either can't follow instructions, or completely misinterpret the situation at hand. Fact of the matter is that the backups normally work exactly as expected. If it didn't in your case, then something is amiss, and ASSuming it's all Apple's fault is foolhardy. You have choices here…. pitch a fit, stamp your feet, and point fingers all around you, or act like an adult and seek advice from community members who may be able to help you sort out what happened. Your choice.

OP
A
Reaction score
Congrats

I am very happy to hear you are experienced enough with Apple products to have the foresight to double check Apples hand before anything bad happens. Apples claim to fame is suppose to be that it is so easy to use grandma can use it. It is a lie. I have plenty of experience on WinTel boxes. And although they have plenty of problems at least they give some warning when they are about to wipe a hard drive. Apple has nothing but contempt for its users unless they are gurus like themselves. Just the fact that you did all those things shows that you are certainly much more experienced than the average users. Even more experienced than the average advanced user. So you actually make my point. Apples claim to always work is a complete lie.

M

MacInWin

+1 for what Raz0rEdge said. The upgrades from Apple were much more robust than anything else I've seen. As the ad says, "It just works."

OP
A
Reaction score
It has already been confirmed by a half dozen Apple experts that there is nothing that can be done. So my only recourse is to find other newbie that have been hosed and band together. Actually I would love if someone would tell me there is an app that will access the FAT and undelete whatever can be salvaged. But that is unauthorized by the Great Steve.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes it just works if you do not care that all of your contact info is gone, sure no crashes but also no WARNING!!!!!!!! "Your hard drive is about to be wiped clean. We suggest you have a good backup before proceeding" M$ maybe incompetent but at least they give you fair warning about something that drastic.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Considering how millions of other iOS users have no such issues, it's clearer to me that something else happened, or you simply screwed something up on your own.

I have never once had this issue with my many iPods, iPhone nor iPad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you have an issue with your product, there's not much we can do if you don't provide any details. Complaining simply isn't productive in and of itself.

If you go to iTunes > Devices, I'm willing to bet that some backups will be listed. If so, your data is still available. If there are, follow the instructions here to restore from one. If not, cut your losses and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.