Trouble transferring itunes to mac from windows7 laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
Sorry - I'm stressed, hopefully I have explained this okay

Trying to transfer files from Windows7 laptop to IMAC Snow Leopard on a flash drive because the CD/DVD drive doesn't work and the computer won't connect to the internet either, hence its being sent in. (my laptop windows7 is the one to be repaired)

I have to send my computer in for repair (my windows laptop) If I can't get them on a flash drive and can't them on my Mac then APPLE ripped me off bigtime. ACTUALLY I was supposed to send my laptop in over a week ago but I have been spending all this time trying to copy my itunes.

i copied my pictures onto the flash drive with no problem its just stupid itunes that is screwed up. i don't even know what extension the itunes is supposed to have for the music. There's all kinds of "parts" to the music, I HATE ITUNES its too friggin complicated.

Plus you can't do certain things with it without paying them THIRTY CENTS A SELECTION EXTRA

which is a little like buying the car but they refuse to turn the keys over till i PAY THEM AGAIN.

HOW DO I DO THAT?

I have copied them on my Windows7 laptop to a flash drive. When I look at the flash drive while I'm on the laptop it all looks to be there but then when I get on my MAC with Snow Leopard the only thing that shows are the selections that I added myself from my own cds.

This is making me crazy because I need to get these backed up so I can send my computer in and in case they delete whats on my hard drive i do not want to lose any of my i-tunes and I already lost some last summer when someone stole my computers.

I was supposed to mail my laptop in a week ago but still trying to do the itunes copy so I can transfer to my MAC.

??????

When I open it up it has stuff like

It has 4 folders: Music, Videos, My DropBox, Pictures

and a file called purchased.txt,

a file called desktop.ini with exec on the icon

and a file called Itunes Library with exec on the icon

A folder that says Music and when I open that there is another file labeled Music and then A folder that says Itunes and also in that is a Folder that says Playlists

Inside the 1st Music folder is another music folder and inside that is a folder called Itunes and one called playlists

and a file called desktop.ini with exec on the icon

when I open the Itunes file it shows a folder called album artwork, a file call itunes itunes library.itl with exec on the icon

a file with itunes genius.itdb and exec on icon

and a file with itunes library extra.itdb

if I click on the itunes library.itl then it opens up to my copied selections that I got off cds.

if I click on the other two .itdb files it does nothing

inside the album artwork are two files : download, and cache and you can click on those and get files with number like 03, 15

NEVER THE ITUNES LIBRARY

Is there a way to copy just one selection to the flash drive?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Right, that took me about ten minutes to decipher.

What you need to do, is:

On the Mac:

In Finder: navigate to User - Music - iTunes - iTunes Music.

this is all your music, as long as itunes preferences has "copy files to library" ticked. If not, go into iTunes, and hit File - consolidate Library first.

copy this folder to your flash drive.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, i realised: wrong way round.

you want Windows to Mac.

so it would be in C/: Users - my Music - iTunes - iTunes music, or somthing similar to that. consolidating files still applies.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
Thank you for reading all that, know it was a pain.

So okay I just deleted all that stuff from the flash drive and started over and I think I have successfully loaded it all onto my flash drive and I can see the files when I open the flash drive on my mac.

How do I get the files onto my Itunes Music file on my Mac?

I dont' want to mess this up now that I finally have them on my flash drive.

THANKS very much. :Mischievous: :)

How does the reputation thing work on the side???

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
from within iTunes on the Mac just go to File... import folder to library... and select the itunes music folder on the flash drive.

just click the button that looks like a tick/cross, choose good or bad, and enter feedback.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
There is no import folder to library that I can see. there is a backup to disk, organize library, export library, import playlist and export playlist.

Is import playlist the same as import folder?

Okay, I don't know what I did but it started copying all kinds of files but still the only ones I see are the ones I copied from the cd itself.

I HATE ITUNES. They should be required to have a warning before you buy anything that the system is way crazy and you will spend most of your time trying to figure out how to use it and very little time actually listening.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it is under organise library. If not, all you need to do is drag the folder onto the itunes window.

iTunes is great once you get the hang of it. (And very easy.) Sounds more to me like you hate their DRM.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
I believe it is under organise library. If not, all you need to do is drag the folder onto the itunes window.

iTunes is great once you get the hang of it. (And very easy.) Sounds more to me like you hate their DRM.

You have been very nice to try to help me. How do I do the reputation thing or whatever to acknowledge your help?

Also, can you tell me how to delete one selection, it is some hour long something that is a commercial that I don't want to include where is the delete key???

Thank you and I'm sorry to be a pain.

Oh, I figured out the reputation question. And I filled it out giving you credit you deserve.

Please just one more thing how do I delete this obnoxious file that came from I know not where? THANK YOU a hundred times.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so you want to delete a selection?

just press Cmd + backspace.

if you have selected it as part of a smart playlist it wont delete, just select it in Music.

you're welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.