• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Avast launches beta of new, free Mac antivirus software

Reaction score
Avast launches beta of new, free Mac antivirus software

avastantivirusbeta-story-01.jpg
Just as Mac malware -- Mac Defender -- has come to the attention of media and Mac users, Avast Software has released a beta of its new Avast for Mac, a free antivirus program that has entered public beta stage. The app runs three shields, for web, mail and a Mac's file system and features an on-demand scanner with custom scans also available. The Web Shield monitors and filters HTTP traffic and protects against common Javascript-based malware. The File Shield scans application binaries on launch and checks all file modifications, while the Mail Shield monitors and fi...

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just what I was looking for! A way to slow down my Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:) I can remember the first time I installed the free Avast on my PC. It was not only a headache to install but it kept making noises each time it did a scan and slowed the system down considerably. That lasted for about two days before I blew it all away and installed the free Avira PE instead. That was all before MS came out with the free Security Essentials AV software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Charlie talk about slow to download updates! Trust they have improved the Mac version for those game enough to try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I will stick with iantivirus and thtvbarley effects my system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Back in my Windoze days, I was a fairly early adopter of Avast. It was pretty good for it's time, then. It wasn't long though before they started adding virus/malware alerts that did not exist on that machine as a means of prodding their client-base to the paid, subscription-based version of the software. Pretty cynical, I thought.

I currently have ClamXav on my Mac, which gets run irregularly... when I remember. I currently see little need for any more protection that offered inherently in the OS, supported by periodic ClamXav scans.

I most definitely will not be installing anything by Trend, Norton or anyone else of that ilk.

Reaction score
As a prior Symantec-Norton user, I can honestly say that it isn't antivirus if it bogs your system down. :p

In all seriousness though, I have a copy of ClamXav sitting in the applications folder if I ever need to use it. So far, I haven't come across anything potentially threatening on any of my Macs, and as for my Windows 7 PC, MSE does a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I use ClamX as well - they have been tracking the latest Mac trojans and I have it set up to just scan my mail folder and downloads folder.

Its just sits quietly doing its stuff and doesn't effect performance

I know the clam engine isn't the best out there, but for free it's unobtrusive and does the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm always amazed at all the people that claim AV slows down their system. I often wonder what type of system they must be using or how old it must be.

I've used ClamXav, Norton and and a handful others off and on through the years and I have never experiences a "slow down" that really made any difference.

I think it's really an old wives tale or people be over dramatic. :p

Reaction score
I'm always amazed at all the people that claim AV slows down their system. I often wonder what type of system they must be using or how old it must be.

I've used ClamXav, Norton and and a handful others off and on through the years and I have never experiences a "slow down" that really made any difference.

I think it's really an old wives tale or people be over dramatic. :p

McAfee was notorious for bogging down my Windows 7 PC...something that Symantec didn't quite do, and MSE doesn't even do at all.

On the Mac, Norton screwed with some things of mine requiring me to reinstall OS X just so I could set up a Guest account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most of the bogging down I've seen with Windows users is usually related to them turning on the "Scan at boot time feature". Scanning a large hard drive at boot time can take awhile. I've not personally experienced any delays or slow downs in Windows and I've just about used every known AV program from the original F-PROT to Norton AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.