MBP resolution stretched and over-scan on external display

Reaction score
Hey all, I started playing Portal 2 on my MBP, at a resolution of 1280x800--the game killed that resolution on my external forever since.
When I ran the game for the first time it appeared stretched on my 16:10 external monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 275t plus). In the game settings the resolution was initially set to 1024x768 and the aspect ratio to 4:3. When i corrected the aspect ratio and resolution everything went well until I exited the game. From that point on, whenever i run that monitor at 1280x800 from the MBP it is stretched far beyond the edges of the screen by approximately 1/3. Ever since initially running Portal 2 the external monitor has detected the resolution 1280x800 as 1024x768, but it is still able to detect and run other resolutions correctly.
Whenever I've attempted to run the game since it appears the same way as the rest of the desktop; stretched, over-scanned and ill positioned. I've tested the laptop with other external monitors at 1280x800 and it's able to drive them without issue. I've tried to reverse the steps to fix the problem, but haven't had any luck.
If I were to guess i would expect there's a problem with the laptop's monitor profile for the 275t caused by a bug that presented itself when I initially changed the resolution in portal, though I don't have the slightest clue how to fix, or reset it.

Thanks for your help.

2008 15" MBP, 2.4Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram, GeForce M8600 GT, OSX 10.6.7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.